Esteemed Contributor

Poodlepet,

I saw your "spam" post on the Thanksgiving thread. I didn't read through to see if there were any responses.

I peel rutabagas and roast them with olive oil and balsamic.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

We love rutabaga. I peel it and then cut them into a big dice and cook them in water until tender. I then drain, add a little butter and salt. I also roast it in the oven as you indicated with olive oil.

Respected Contributor

I generally use them in beef stew or eat them raw.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Contributor

Sorry that I did not see your OP but I did see the title of Rutabagas and we love them. I prefer them mashed like you would make mashed potatoes but I do add some sugar to the cooking water and again when I am mashing along with the butter and sale & pepper. I also make them roasted.

Regular Contributor

Love them. I get the small ones which are sweeter, mash them and enjoy with mashed potatoes.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/18/2014 wadesmom said:

Sorry that I did not see your OP but I did see the title of Rutabagas and we love them. I prefer them mashed like you would make mashed potatoes but I do add some sugar to the cooking water and again when I am mashing along with the butter and salt & pepper. I also make them roasted.

Poodlepet asked in another thread how to make them.

I'm a big fan of roasting any vegetable!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

I always boiled them with a little salt and maybe a dash of sugar. Add butter and serve them in the liquid with a slotted spoon. A local Country Buffet serves them like this every night. I always get them.

Valued Contributor

I mash them with butter, light brown sugar (just a little) and add nutmeg. Nutmeg just completes the mash

Contributor
I love them! I peel, cube, and toss them with a little balsamic vinegar and black pepper . I lightly coat a foil lined roasting pan with coconut oil spray, add the rutabagas and spritz again with coconut oil spray and roast. Sometimes I add cubed parsnips. I usually make so much that I enjoy them cold for a couple of days
Valued Contributor

I peel them, slice them, and add an equal amount of peeled sliced carrots, boil till tender, drain, add salt, liberal amount of pepper, a glob of butter, and mash, like mashed potatoes. The sweet carrots and tart rudabegas make a delicious dish. Bright orange in color and my family tradition on Thanksgiving and Christmas. mmmmnmum munmm good!