Frequent Contributor

Thanksgiving food staples that WONT be on your table

Every year when I watch Food Network I always feel like I'm missing out on the Thanksgiving dinner staples but its silly to make them when no ones gonna eat them. No one in my house likes any of these.

At my house there won't be any

sweet potatoes or yams

cranberry anything

corn bread

green bean casserole

gravy

cider

So what are some of the staples that you guys don't like? Thanx for sharing.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving food staples that WONT be on your table

No one in your house likes gravy?? We could drink it right out of the gravy boat at my house!!

Respected Contributor

I just did the menu with a friend with whom I share Thanksgiving (so wonderful, when you have no family. A real gift.) One thing we're not having for sure is that green bean casserole. It's not that bad, but we do most everything from scratch and canned mushroom soup and canned fried onions do not make the cut! Besides, their family doesn't like it.

Also, a local favorite, sauerkraut, is also not appearing. You find that here in a swath from Baltimore up to Johnstown or so, and many folks claim it's a MUST for their table on the holiday.

We're also not doing Parkerhouse Rolls this year; we decided to do mini corn muffins. Her husband is avoiding wheat, and they can be made wheat free and everyone loves cornbread.

Finally, we're both bored with butternut squash soup, and I suggested Potage St. Germaine because her husband likes pea soup (dried pea soup) she does not, and St. Germaine is made with fresh or frozen petits pois and lettuce and mint and is very light and beautifully green. Different. Strictly speaking, it's a Spring soup but through the miracle of Birds Eye...

Respected Contributor

No green bean cassarole, maybe steamed green beans though.

NO Succotash!

No candied yams but maybe plain baked sweet potatoes, delicious with butter.

We sure will be having cider! Love apple EVERYTHING! It's even in the turkey butter rub!

and I'll even make creamed onions because my family likes them. Just keep them away from me!

What are you planing?

Respected Contributor

On 11/17/2014 colliegirls said:

No one in your house likes gravy?? We could drink it right out of the gravy boat at my house!!

I went to T'giving dinner once at a friend's and his kids did just that. Right out of the spout. My husband and I gave each other the ""meaning eye"" and we professed to liking dry turkey.

Valued Contributor

Wow sad. I'll be having all that. Dd likes that jelled cranberry out of a can. Dh has to have his green bean casserole. We're making Texas Roadhouse stuffed sweet potatoes. We'll have gravy and cornbread stuffing. We won't be having cider. I don't care for pumpkin pie but we'll have it. Happy Thanksgiving.
Super Contributor

No corn bread anything, no stuffing, only turkey breast as no one really wants the dark meat anyway, definitely no green bean casserole as just green beans are what we usually do. I suppose also no gravy because we deep fry the turkey breast and I'm not into packaged gravy mix. Probably sweet potato pie instead of pumpkin, but I usually do a pumpkin flan too.
Esteemed Contributor

Pumpkin pie. No takers on that one. Everyone does love squash pie which is, I think, a very New England preference. This is the brand of canned squash we use!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

No green beans or green bean casserole.

No potatoes or yams of any kind!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/17/2014 Campion said:
On 11/17/2014 colliegirls said:

I went to T'giving dinner once at a friend's and his kids did just that. Right out of the spout. My husband and I gave each other the ""meaning eye"" and we professed to liking dry turkey.

I can picture that!!