Esteemed Contributor

I am fascinated by how different people react to food freebies.

At Costco, there are people who make their rounds with the samples.

There is a pizza place next to my dry cleaners. They give away samples before closing when I pick up my clothes. The line is around the corner.

Mom and I were thrifting and the shop was giving away cakes. There was a stampede to get to them.

I keep a well stocked kitchen, but DH goes nuts over free food.

What do you think?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor
I won't wait in line for a sample. I will take one if the line is short and it's something I haven't had before. I think that comes from shopping with my sister and her sampling everything and leaving the store full.
Super Contributor

"Free" is the operative word here, whether referring to food or anything else. Some folks find the allure of that word all too tempting. Have you seen that gag where a bowl of rocks is left out with a sign reading, "Free rocks. Take one."? LOL - you'd think the bowl held free diamonds with the way folks took advantage of it! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

I will taste the samples in Costco if there is not a line. I rarely spend more than 15 minutes in the store and stick to my list.

Trusted Contributor

Costco is about the only place I will take samples, because they seem pretty controlled. And, I usually only try something that I haven't had and really would like to try. However, I do admit to being there before I've had lunch, and maybe taking one or two extras, lol.

Most other places I won't take samples because who knows who has been touching them or how long they've been sitting out. Our local grocery store leaves samples unattended throughout the day. Yuuuccckkk!!!!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

I gave Costco as an example, but I'm referring to free food across the board.

Colonel, maybe the key word is "free?" People go nuts.

At BJ's today, there was a vendor giving away car wax samples. There was no line for that. The popcorn chicken? Pounced on like vultures!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor
On 11/15/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I gave Costco as an example, but I'm referring to free food across the board.

Colonel, maybe the key word is "free?" People go nuts.

At BJ's today, there was a vendor giving away car wax samples. There was no line for that. The popcorn chicken? Pounced on like vultures!

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

DH loves to go to Costco with me; it's the only place he will go willingly when I need to shop; he makes the rounds to all the free samples and pretends to get a second one "" for my wife""....knowing full well I can get my own if I want any samples....he is like a little kid trick or treating.....

Respected Contributor

My co-worker and I used to refer to sample day as the ""Sam's Club Buffet"".

Denise
Honored Contributor
On 11/15/2014 denisemb said:

My co-worker and I used to refer to sample day as the "Sam's Club Buffet". {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

yup.......i was at sams club today and i had my "lunch" there. LOL.....lot of good stuff today!

by the way, one of the samples were "little smokies". they were put into a mixture of equal parts strawberry jam and bbq sauce and heated in a electric skillet. they would make great appetizers and they were delicious and so easy to prepare.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein