Respected Contributor

I wanted to know about the hams from Kansas city steaks. I do not buy food items from Chinese companies. CS had no idea. Does anyone know where KCS gets their ham?

Respected Contributor

Re: Wanted to know about hams

...no responses? Ahhh... I guess we should rename this topic "" The Silence of the Hams""....Smiley HappySmiley HappyTGIF Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Well, the Q is full of hams; that's for sure.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

I looked at the Kansas City website and their Hickory Smoked Bone-In Ham is from the Missouri Ozarks.

Respected Contributor

That is way too much to be paying for a ham. We can buy those in the local grocery stores for no more than $30 depending upon the size and company. They start around $15. The glaze is something that you baste the ham with as you bake it (warm it really since they are already cooked/smoked) to make a nice crispy layer of flavor. Most Sam's/Costco also have them. I don't know why people pay so much for a ham!

Esteemed Contributor

henny, just curious, why don't you buy food items from China?

I ask because our regional pork producer was recently bought by a Chinese company. I try to eat close to home, but can't always do so.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I absolutely LOVE the KC hams and buy them every year. This year they are getting pretty high in price, but I will usually pay for the quality.

They don't pump them full of water and salt, like the others do, and I appreciate that. Also, they don't use that fake smoke on them, like the others do. They are actually fully smoked.

I cannot say enough good about these. Unfortunately, this year, the price went up a fair amount. But I figure that the 'per use' price for me is pretty low and it's worth it to get the quality. I get scores of servings out of one of these hams, what with several days worth of servings for us, I vacuum seal and freeze several packets of slices, and I get a HUGE pot of split pea soup from what's left (which is still quite a bit of ham on the bone). That's another more than a dozen servings that I portion out, freeze, and vacuum seal so I have soup all year.

ETA - I forgot to mention that another thing I like is that their glaze comes in a packet that you rehydrate and use, if you choose. I make my own glaze, so that works out really well.

Honored Contributor

On 11/14/2014 chickenbutt said:

I absolutely LOVE the KC hams and buy them every year. This year they are getting pretty high in price, but I will usually pay for the quality.

They don't pump them full of water and salt, like the others do, and I appreciate that. Also, they don't use that fake smoke on them, like the others do. They are actually fully smoked.

I cannot say enough good about these. Unfortunately, this year, the price went up a fair amount. But I figure that the 'per use' price for me is pretty low and it's worth it to get the quality. I get scores of servings out of one of these hams, what with several days worth of servings for us, I vacuum seal and freeze several packets of slices, and I get a HUGE pot of split pea soup from what's left (which is still quite a bit of ham on the bone). That's another more than a dozen servings that I portion out, freeze, and vacuum seal so I have soup all year.

ETA - I forgot to mention that another thing I like is that their glaze comes in a packet that you rehydrate and use, if you choose. I make my own glaze, so that works out really well.

How do these compare to the Honey Baked hams? I'm thinking about one of those!

Super Contributor

All of their hams are from the Missouri Ozarks. We have enjoyed the boneless hickory smoked ham many times and it has always been good. We also like Burgers Smokehouse boneless sliced ham as well. Depends on what I am needing from which company.

We really like Kansas City Steak Company fully cooked boneless sliced turkey breast, a Holiday must. There are only two of us, so we eat what we want and vacuum seal the rest for later.

We always go boneless and sliced, just easier to deal with and after messing with bone in for soups and what not, decided to stick with the sliced boneless.

Some info on Burgers Smokehouse they are in California Missouri family owned, started in the 1920's and still on the original site, also in 1956 the company became the first country cured meat company in the United States to receive Federal Inspection. By the way shipping is always include in the price shown, they have special offers and sales and often include free goodies. Great customer service too, been shopping with them for as long as I can remember (no I am not family or employed by them just a happy customer) Happy Holidays

tkins

Super Contributor

I thought, just recently, there was a pork shortage because of a virus that took out a lot of the stock. That is probably why there is such an increase in the price of all pork products.