Trusted Contributor

Turkey breast for Thanksgiving

Making this instead of whole turkey. Any tips on keeping it from getting dry, size of pan as far as how far away from edge of pan should breast be; what height should the sides be,

should i cook it covered/uncovered

baste or rub with oil before oven

how to get it to stay upright in pan

any other tips would be much appreciated{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Trusted Contributor

Re: Turkey breast for Thanksgiving

This is from Food Network, doesn't look like you have to worry about all those details on width, height, etc. Just lie it down, don't stand it up.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/roast-turkey-breast-with-gravy-recipe.html

Trusted Contributor

I make turkey breast or turkey tenderloin in the crockpot. Cover with chicken broth and it is always very moist and tender. Add whatever seasonings and vegetables you like...or not. You can't go wrong.

Contributor

I came across this recipe just today.....I went right out and got everything to make it....I want to try it before Thanksgiving to make sure it is ok...but sure sounds good. It is thawing now and will try it tomorrow

Slow Cooker Turkey Breast and Gravy

3-6 Lb turkey breast

2 pkgs turkey gravy mx

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 3/4 cup water

1/4 tsp. thyme

1/4 tsp. pepper

Whisk together gravy mix, soup, water and time and pepper...pour into crockpot and add turkey. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hrs.

Hoping it comes out great so I don't have to mess with the whole turkey.

Valued Contributor

Try thechew.com. Daphne Oz made one yesterday with a butter herb stuffed between the skin and the breast.

Esteemed Contributor

Retta Jo, that sounds good. I'm going to try it, too. I usually do a turkey breast in our crock pot, but haven't tried it with those other ingredients. Yum.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Have made 2 turkey breasts every holiday for years.....very simple to do : Use cooking bags Rub outside skin with a little olive oil and sprinkle with whatever seasoning you prefer Separate the skin from the breast meat in several,places and put pieces of cold butter under the skin; put skin back in place as much as possible. Make sure you have cleaned the turkey breast thoroughly before prepping it for the the oven... I put a cut up onion and a few celery stalks in the neck cavity. It will always come out moist and perfect!
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

We almost always do turkey breast rather than the whole bird. (If your family likes dark meat, you can add thighs for the people who want dark.) It is easier to carve and there is less waste.

I just roast mine in a roaster, like you do any turkey, with a basting now and then, but there are crockpot recipes that are good--however you don't get the crisp skin. I hate poultry skin so I'm happy to have it removed before eating. (An alternative is to do the breast in the crock pot, where it comes out very moist and juicy, and do the thighs in the oven with the sweet potatoes, and stuffing casserole, for example.)

A friend of mine usually makes the dinner now, and she uses one of those covered Ninja style roasters.

Respected Contributor

ATK has a wonderful recipe for cooking Turkeys called Slow-Roasted Turkey and Gravy. It was on the episode: An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving.

I use this recipe to cook my turkey breast each year. It is sooo goood!!!