Esteemed Contributor

Slightly OT: Supermarket shopping

I wasn't sure where I should post about this so since it's regarding purchasing food I chose this forum. I live in the town I grew up in and shopped in one particular supermarket all of my life. Well, I would say over the past year shopping has become more of an adventure than a chore. I'll usually do most of my shopping during the day but occasionally my DH and I will do a trip at night. I would say the last six times or so I come out saying "I'm never doing this again at night". It seems like there are many unscrupulous people just wandering the store, not at all shopping just roaming the aisles, I find this is true during the day as well. I am always aware of my surroundings and know you have to be careful everywhere. But this is getting ridiculous. Tonight as I was waiting for my husband in the Produce dept. a tall man came walking down the aisle eyeing everyone including me, I looked him right in the eye and it was clear to me he was an undercover cop. Didn't see a gun but I' pretty sure it was probably strapped to his leg. What concerned me was what he seemed to see behind me that caught his attention. I grabbed my handbag a little tighter. By the time it came to checkout I had enough and then the guy that was behind the counter who was actually doing nothing forgot to take off my coupons. He said "oh sorry it's too late can't do it oh well". I looked at him and said "what. That's not right". So I took the coupons and proceeded to customer service. There , it was just as bad, there was a young male and female behind the counter, the male was daydreaming and when the girl was coming out of the attached room she actually ran back chugging a soda. She did not want to wait on me. By the time we got to the car I was breaking out in hives because I was so on edge. Do you feel this is happening in your area as well? Do you feel safe while you are shopping in stores these days?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Slightly OT: Supermarket shopping

I don't think I would go back there. Is there somewhere else you could go?

I know here, just a couple of days ago, a man hid in the bathroom at Big Lots and tried to assault a woman. He is still on the loose.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/8/2014 betteb said:

I don't think I would go back there. Is there somewhere else you could go?

I know here, just a couple of days ago, a man hid in the bathroom at Big Lots and tried to assault a woman. He is still on the loose.

There is but it's slightly further out of the way. I go there because I kind of know where everything is and up until recently I felt some what comfortable. Not to mention I would always bump into someone I knew. It seems like my whole town has changed drastically.
Trusted Contributor

I agree. Things are a lot different than they used to be. I never go shopping anymore at night, unless I absolutely have to. I don't really feel safe anywhere anymore.

Employees, especially young ones, are not trained properly on how to interact with customers. I go to the grocery store and sometimes the clerk doesn't even interact with me. He or she is talking to the next clerk or the person bagging the groceries. Now, one particular store I go to, the clerks are so nice, young or older. But, I feel that is the culture of the store, they train them to be helpful and gracious to customers.

The other day I was at a store and wanted to see the salmon in the case that was advertised. I wanted to see how thick it was since I couldn't really see it from the case view. When I asked the butcher to show me the salmon because I couldn't see it, he said, "I can't believe you can't see it, it's right in front of you." I just looked at him and said, "Seriously?" I said, "You are rude, sir, and I'm going to talk to your manager." I did indeed. The manager was so apologetic. But, it shows how rude and how unprofessional people are.

I was in the ER a few weeks ago. The staff at that hospital were so unprofessional. I kept asking for a cup of water and no one would help me. I was all alone, no one with me to assist in making sure I was taken care of. Once in the ER exam room, I was freezing, just shivering and they kept looking at me in the room and no one would offer me a blanket. I had to remove the bed liner sheet from the gurney I was lying on to wrap around me so I wouldn't be so cold.

It's not just the grocery store. It's everywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

Daring greatly. I am so sorry that happened to you , especially being sick. I also was in the ER recently and the doctor treated me rather well but it took 9 hours after they hooked me up to an IV. He told me the most I would be waiting was an hour. I could have never done that because I am very sensitive to cold. It's scary , no one wants to work. It's the entitlement generations, they know all their rights though, right? Recently a convict being held for possible multiple murders was complaining to the judge about the clothes he had to wear and the "thing" he had to sleep on. Could you imagine?
Honored Contributor

I guess it depends where you shop. My old neighborhood in NY was very different than here in California. In NY you had to bag your own groceries and I'm not sure the cashiers would even bother to speak to you if your hair was on fire. Things might have changed since I left 14 years ago, but that's the way it used to be.

Here in California they go out of their way to be courteous. I don't think there is one store I ever enter where someone doesn't stop what they're doing to welcome me. When you get to the checkout they always say, "Hello, how are you today? Did you find everything you were looking for? Do you need help to the car?" I couldn't ask for better service.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like to be out at night...so I shop during the day...I can't say that I am fearful...there always seems to be a lot of people out and about....minding their own business...

Contributor

This conversation or similar has come up with my family and friends it seems a lot lately. I try not to be out driving around in my car after dark and haven't for some years now. Of course there are times when it is necessary to be out running about after dark but I keep very aware of my surroundings and everyone around me. But, I have read there are just as many incidents of robbery, theft, and in-home invasions going on during the day light hours!

Lets face it. The world has changed! There isn't anywhere on this planet completely ever going to be safe. It's not the 50's anymore. The best way for me to explain it is a line from a classic movie entitled the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy says to Toto after her house lands in Oz and she says to her little dog..."Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore."

Its a shame. I cringe thinking what condition this old world will be in when my grandkids are the age I am right now. The lack of respect for self and others and the wrongs that are spoon fed on television as acceptable behaviors is what is aiding greatly to this situation. I remember when I was young and my maternal grandmother and grandfather said that Hollywood, the movies and television were tools of the devil. At the time, I thought that was just so silly. After all these years, I finally see what those dear and wise grandparents meant!

There is safety in numbers, always be aware of your surroundings and rely on your internal instincts. Don't put yourself in unwise disadvantages. Take confidence building self defense classes that are offered in your community. Change your shopping locations even if it is a longer drive if you no longer feel safe. Never cower from living your life to its fullest...because your world will become smaller and smaller and you will lose to THEIR win.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you need to find another supermarket. I've noticed mine has odd characters on Saturday night, but nothing like you described.

Honored Contributor

Shop during the day. Boom...problem solved. Undercover police? That's a good thing, yes?

And never, never, ever in a zillion years would I EVER complain about treatment within the ER....it's not a spa retreat...bring the warmth with you. Believe me...everyone wants everyone out there as quickly as possible. And the reason for the wait? Greater than zero chance they were sewing somebody's leg back on, birthing babies, and/or trying to save someone's life that went into cardiac arrest...sitting in an ER waiting room became 'backburner' items.

How about trying one of those 24-Hr ER Clinics, if you have in your area? They were designed just for you.