Respected Contributor

Refrigerator advice - side by side or bottom freezer?

Our fridge is on it's way out. DH is interested in a bottom freezer with french doors above, but I'm not sure. Stupid question (I haven't looked at fridges lately and websites aren't always clear), but do the french door/bottom freezer units have ice maker/water dispensers in the door? Or inside the refrigerator area?

Any comments/opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Denise
Respected Contributor

Re: Refrigerator advice - side by side or bottom freezer?

We just bought the four door French refrigerator with the freezer drawer on the bottom!! We love it! There is ice in the door and then there is ice bucket in the freezer drawer that the ice falls into also. They are both placed so that they don't take up much room and are tucked out of the way. The freezer drawer is so roomy. It has a huge drawer on top and then two large areas below it. We had a side by side and it wouldn't hold anything. Ours has the two double doors on top along with the third door on the outside that opens up with shelves for items that you use really often like butter, milk and condiments. I hope this helps you.

Trusted Contributor

It's funny, our old refrigerator back in the 70's had the 3 doors... with freezer drawer on the bottom. Funny how things come back. I think the bottom freezer holds much more items. Side by side is so limiting.

Esteemed Contributor

Bottom freezers are more efficient for energy. Heat rises.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

We never had a bottom freezer with french doors above until we moved into this house. It came with a new frig/freezer unit - Samsung. I seriously do not like this unit, but must admit part of it might be the brand.

The french doors: the left one has a vertical strip that pushes out to the right and closes flush with the frig. Thing is, you MUST close the left door first, then the right door. If you don't, the doors don't seal properly and the darn frig starts going ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. Another downside to this is that because you MUST open the right door, even if you want to open only the left, you're dealing with an energy inefficient unit. I have no idea whether other brands are made like this. Say away from Samsung. (We love all of the other Samsung products we own.)

2 things to consider about the freezer: (1) What is the production of the ice maker? Our ice maker is sa-low and because we do not have a side-by-side, we don't have access to ice from outside, nor a water spout outside; (2) and, I have a horrible back and really miss being able to put my favorite items at waist, chest or face level. Something to consider if you're in your late 40s or 50s.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Kitlynn - may I ask what brand you bought? I guess I'm confused on the ice/water in door thing - if the freezer is on the bottom how does it get above to come out of the door?

Daring Greatly - yeah, we currently have a side by side and it IS limiting, especially since we moved and left my favorite fridge behind - the Maytag Wide by Side. Unfortunately, I guess there were issues and they quit making it.

Maytag Wide by side

Denise
Contributor

I have the Maytag French door with freezer on the bottom and it has water/ice in the door. Love it. Funny story, I bought this appliance before selling my villa and was disappointed that I was giving it up with the house. Found the condo I wanted and guess what was in the kitchen..the identical appliance....I hugged it in front of the seller. No wonder he didn't negotiate much on the price...LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a samsung and love it. We have no problem with the doors shutting or the alarm going off. We,also do not have to open both doors if we only want one side.
Valued Contributor

If anyone in your household has knee or back issues they can be inconvenient. My Mom had one and found the bottom freezer difficult.

Regular Contributor

I have the French door samsung with freezer on the bottom and I love it!!! I also do not have an issue with opening left or right door and no alarm dinging. The bottom freezer holds more and when I had the freezer on the top...can't tell you how many times, something frozen fell on my toes...ouch! My ice and water is in the left door.... Just love my new fridge...