Honored Contributor

I will start making a few Christmas candy recipes after Thanksgiving and I am wondering what is the 'best' melting chocolate....including white chocolate?

I have always used Nestles chocolate chips but I am sure there are other brands out there, any suggestions? Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

I have always used Nestles or Ghirardelli. Tried the store brand once and it just does not melt right.

If you want to splurge or just need a smaller amount, Cadbury bars are very good.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I usually use chips of all kinds (chocolate, butterscotch, etc.), although I find that some (especially peanut butter and butterscotch) need to have a tiny bit of butter added to them so they melt more smoothly. You can also buy both milk and white chocolate bark that melts easily - can't think of the name offhand, but Walmart or any store with a decent baking section should have it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I am not unhappy with what I use, I just thought there might be a better tasting brand, I might try the Ghirardelli brand. The only large grocery near me is a Wallmart so I hope they carry that brand.

Respected Contributor

I used the Ghirardelli last year and I had great luck with it. It was easy to melt and was really nice and creamy. Tasted amazing also and I could really tell the difference between it and the other brands like store and Nestles.

Honored Contributor

Ghirardelli tastes the best and melts evenly. I think Walmart may carry it. Costco has a big bag of Kirklands choc chips now that I may get next week and try also,

Trusted Contributor

E. Guitard chocolate is great too. I like it better than Ghirardelli.

Honored Contributor

I am a BIG candy maker. I use Ghirardelli if I can find it. Sams Club has it this time of the year and I stock up for use all year long.

If I have to purchase another brand, I use Wilber chocolate. It's made right here in Lancaster County, PA. They have milk, dark, white and peanut flavored. It's a good chocolate and not waxy or cheap tasting. It's about $3 a lb and is available on their website. You can purchase this chocolate from Wilberbuds.com

Also, If you have a local handcrafted candy shop, they probably will sell chocolate to you for this purpose. One of our local Nut and Chocolate Shops offers many brands of chocolate and supplies for home use.

I never use chocolate chips. I prefer confectioner chocolate. You don't have to add parafin wax, butter or anything else. Just melt and use. The results are beautiful.

Candy for chocolate making is expensive, so be sure not to get any water in it while making your goodies. A few drops of water can seize your chocolate and ruin it. It will become a grainey, clumpy hard mess and will need to be tossed. If you use a double boiler to melt chocolate it's easy to ruin it if water splashes. Also be careful that your equiptment...bowls, spoons, etc are dry.

I mircowave 30 seconds and stir...over and over again untl it's smooth. Be careful not to overheat or burn.

Making candies and other goodies is so much fun and easy. Best wishes and good luck.

Trusted Contributor

It depends. For most home recipes utilizing chips, I generally use Trader Joe's, Ghirardelli, or Guitard. I also will buy premium confectionary coatings and melt that.

When using premium chocolate for truffles or other gourmet candymaking (i.e. chocolate requiring tempering), I prefer Callebaut or El Rey, but in a pinch, I will use the Trader Joe's Pound Plus bars.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone, I have never heard of several of these brands. I will definitely use a different brand this year.