Respected Contributor

Is there a difference in brands of chili powder? What's your favorite?

TIA

Super Contributor

Yes, there is a difference. I don't have a favorite. Great cooks who use chili powder have said to purchase three of four different brands and use a little of each brand (mix them) when preparing a dish that requires chili powder.

Respected Contributor

I like the McCormick ""Hot Mexican.""

Esteemed Contributor

Penzey's Chili 9000!

DH doesn't like heat, so I use that and add Penzey's Berebere to my bowl.

I also use it for Chicken Noodle Soup.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor
For whatever it's worth, I really thought I was in love with chili powder: I would put double the amount of whatever the recipe called for. There was a flavor I was craving, but even doubling the amount was not quite doing it for me. I was on a Rachel Ray 30 Minute Meals nag, and I noticed she used a lot of cumin, and repeatedly described it as being smoky. Don't laugh, but I was always afraid to try it because I though Poodlepett it would be spicy-I don't do heat. I made a pot of chili and restrained myself from the excessive use of chili powder, and I added cumin instead: that was my Eureka moment. No doubt there are differences between brands of any spice, but I thought I would mention this because I really thought was in love with chili powder....
Respected Contributor

McCormick's Hot Mexican Chili Powder contains cumin but I add yet more cumin to my chili.

Respected Contributor

I order Hatch chile powder, & hot pepper flakes, from a company in Hatch, NM.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Poodlepet. I always use cumin if I'm using chili powder. It gives it a little something extra without a bite.

I recently discovered organic chili powder at my supermarket and I'm hooked. Spices have gotten so pricey that I just happened to check out the organic isle one day. It was right after I read an article about the lack of quality control on spices imported. I do cook with a lot of herbs and spices so it's been a challenge to keep these in the pantry. Prices vary but it's another place to look.

Respected Contributor

Mexene

I add a bit of cumin also.

Honored Contributor

There was one called 'Grandma's Spanish Seasoning' that I bought for many years. I think they stopped making it (but I still have some).

I would go with Penzey's. I use the Penzey's taco seasoning mix in place of chili powder also, and it's good.