Esteemed Contributor

Question about Penzey's "Lamb Seasoning"

My husband, in his quest to create new and different entres for dinner, purchased Penzey's Lamb Seasoning. However, it came with no instructions. His question is: should it be used as a rub, as a primary ingredient of a marinade, or something altogether different?

If you have had experience with this seasoning, we'd both appreciate your input very much.

Thanks so much in advance!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about Penzey's ""Lamb Seasoning""

What is he making?

I would add a teaspoon per pound as a rub.

The great thing about Penzey's is there is always room for experimenting! You can always call them to ask for suggestions.

Have fun!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/31/2014 HonnyBrown said:

What is he making?

I would add a teaspoon per pound as a rub.

The great thing about Penzey's is there is always room for experimenting! You can always call them to ask for suggestions.

Have fun!

HoneyBrown,

Thanks so much for the rub suggestion with tsp/lb. That really, really helps. As to Penzy's customer service, my husband contacted them and the person who responded today gave him a non-answer. LOL! Now he tells me he was actually looking for a recipe of sorts, so it appears I'm going to have to give this some thought and come up with the best idea for this rub. Right now I'm thinking we can either roast it or place it in our big Weber for extra taste. Thanks, again!

Esteemed Contributor

Can I assume you have a leg of lamb to roast? That's what you'd need seasoning and rub for. I've cooked many Leg roast - first you cut garlic cloves into rather thin pieces - then cut narrow not too deep slits in the meat and insert the garlic slices in.

Then a rub to the outside of the roast - pepper - salt - garlic powder - and the lamb seasoning and bake. The smells of it cooking will drive the cat/dog crazy!

Don't over cook it - Europeans like theirs slightly pink inside - and I do too! yum yum

Super Contributor

Hi sf! HonnyBrown gave good advice. I buy spices from Savory Spice Shop, and they carry something similar but specifically call it a rub: "Limnos Lamb Rub".

On their site there's a recipe for a squash tart (Limnos Squash Tart), and this is a simple idea [also from their site] using that ingredient:

Rub a leg of lamb with olive oil, coat it with Limnos Lamb Rub and roast or grill it. Baste with red wine and its own natural juices to a temperature of 160-165 degrees. Don’t limit yourself to just lamb. Try the same recipe with a good cut of venison or rub the inner cavity and outer skin of a goose or duck with olive oil, Limnos and fresh garlic. This blend stands up wonderfully to strong flavored or gamey meats.

HTH

Respected Contributor

I have the seasoning but have yet to use it. I thought I'd add it to ground lamb for gyros.

Esteemed Contributor

fthunt,

Yes, my husband has a leg of lamb and also purchased some large chunks of lamb. He sometimes finds the strangest cuts of meats up here. And, yes, we prefer our lamb pink inside as you mentioned. Tastes soooo good!

Sabatini3,

Can't thank you enough for the recipe. My husband is studying it now. I taught him how to pierce the meat and place slices of garlic in each piercing. Thing is, he uses a whole head of garlic - I swear! Now I like garlic, but he uses too much. LOL! Thanks, again.

Free2be,

Thank you for the ground lamb idea! We haven't had ground lamb in years, so will definitely have to do that.

~R

Super Contributor

Hi SFNative,

The Spice House is also run by Penzey's and you can find similar spices there. They have quite a bit of recipes under "Mediterranean Lamb Seasoning", but this one is closer to the above recipe:

"For leg of lamb, an extremely tasty method of cooking is this: rinse lamb and generously rub in seasoning. Make small slits in the lamb with a paring knife and insert peeled garlic cloves. Then baste in red wine. For rare lamb, roast until temperature reaches 140. For well done lamb, roast at 350 for about 30 minutes per pound until temperature reaches 165 degrees.

Besides lamb, this is a wonderful blend for chicken, pork, and roasted potatoes.The flavors in this seasoning also pair nicely with roast goose.Hand mixed from: rosemary, salt, sage, lemon, dill weed, fennel, garlic, marjoram. Sodium content: 183.51 mg per teaspoon; 9.32% sodium".

There are a lot more recipes for this spice, but I thought the garlic inserted with the recipe already posted sounded awesome, and the above is just from the page on the lamb seasoning. I included what's in the spice so you can see if they're similar. I don't recall the division of Penzey's, but both companies are of the Penzey family with similar spices and have their strong points. The Spice House tends to be less expensive but with higher shipping, whereas Penzey's is a bit higher with lower shipping. Penzey's has good trial boxes each year and have a catalog. I get e-mails from both and The Spice House tends to have sales on their boxes of spices every once and awhile and both offer free shipping if buying a certain amount around Christmas once or twice. They both send their boxes with sage leaves, nutmeg, and cinnamon sticks. Penzey's has more decorative labels than The Spice House if that matters. Also, TSH has more BBQ spices and rub mixes, which is great for gifting to my brother as he loves BBQing and smoking meat and used to do competitions with a few other relatives. They are nowhere around my area and I'd never have heard of either of them without the great people on the recipe forum, thank you everyone!

Definitely post how it comes out! The above sounds pretty similar to how my Armenian relatives would do shish kabobs.