Valued Contributor

Help! Avocados Will Not Ripen

We have a large Hass Holiday Avocado tree in our back yard and the fruit will not ripen I have tried many things including in a paper bag in a drawer, in the oven with pilot light on for a few hrs, and in the window sill but nothing will ripen these quite large avocados . any suggestions other than what I have tried? The tree is covered with fruit and they look so good but .....

Contributor

Re: Help! Avocados Will Not Ripen

In a brown paper bag has always work for me, use to have a tree. Will take several days, good luck!

Respected Contributor

Call your local nursery. Perhaps U R picking them too early.

Honored Contributor

i have never had any problems with just letting them sit on the window sill in some light. it may take a few days or even up to a week, but that always works.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Try ethylene gas - seal an avocado in a bag along with an apple or banana & see what happens

Honored Contributor

Mine always ripen on the counter in a few days.

I would love to have an avocado tree. You are so lucky!

Valued Contributor

I have had one sitting on the window sill for over a week and nothing yet. I am going to try the apple thing in the bag where I have another one. I let one fall off the tree and another I picked so I am not sure what is wrong with them I will keep trying . Thanks for the replies.

Honored Contributor

I bought organic avocados a month or so ago and all 3 would not ripen. I tried every method, old wives tale and voodoo to get them to ripen. I ended up returning them to Wegmans for new ones.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

Paper bag with an apple or pear ethylene gas is natures ripener, as mentioned above!!!!!
Super Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Snik said: Paper bag with an apple or pear ethylene gas is natures ripener, as mentioned above!!!!!

This is the method we use also. It can take 3-6 days sometimes. I don't check until after at least 3 days.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion