Honored Contributor

Made some short cakes this morning, and the apples with brown sugar and cinnamon.

I can post it if anyone's interested. My husband loves apple anything. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Made some short cakes this morning, and the apples with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Yes, please post, I love apple anything too.

Honored Contributor

Re: Made some short cakes this morning, and the apples with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Apple-Cinnamon Shortcakes

2C. all-purpose flour

2 T. + 2 Tsp. sugar, DIVIDED

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt

1 C. heavy whipping cream

1/2 C. + 4 tsp. MELTED butter, DIVIDED

FILLING:

1/4 c. Butter, cubed

4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced

1/2 C. packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/8 tsp. apple pie spice (added this time, so opt.)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 T. sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 C. butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls, 2" apart, onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.

For filling, in a large skillet, melt butter. Add apples; sauté until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. (This is where I also added some apple pie spice).

Gently split warm shortcakes in half horizontally. Top bottom halves with apple mixture; replace tops. Serve immediately. (I kept the shortcakes and apples separate in lock and locks for later eating). Yields: 8 servings.