Regular Contributor

I have been doing a lot of canning lately, and have noticed something- I have very hard water here, and use the old black with white speckles canning pot with a rack..When I am removing my jars, I am noticing a white mineral coating on the jars which is hard to remove, even with Windex (and I feel weird rubbing my jars with Windex)-

It is not so bad when only orocessing 5 minute, but when going 10 or more, it is very pronounced- When I drain the water I can see the white residue on the bottom of the pot s well..

My question is this: Could I ADD something to the processing water..vinegar, salt? to cut back the mineral deposits, or would that eat away at my lids?

Anyone else have this problem?

I hate giving away these unsightly, cloudy looking, and rough feeling, jars...

Thanks for any advice

Frequent Contributor

Re: Home Canners- Need advice

Sounds like you have VERY hard water. Installing a water softener or canning in distilled water would be expensive. Why not look up the Homesteading Today forum (not on Q, it's just a web forum) and ask the canning experts there about the vinegar?
Trusted Contributor

I cam occasionally -- usually in a pressure cooker. I know a number of people add a splash of white vinegar you the water to prevent mineral build up.

Honored Contributor

You can add vinegar, but I've only heard that recommended for pressure canning not BWB. I have the same problem because I have really hard water. I just wipe it off the jars.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Why not call the Ball company who makes all the canning jars, pots, and canning utensils? Surely, they can answer this ? 4 U. Google is your friendSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

It could be a combination of both hard water and your old canning pot breaking down. I would buy a new pot. Then you can add about a cup of white vinegar to the boiling water. You can soak your empty bottles in a sink of hot water and vinegar before you use them.

Regular Contributor

Great advice.. Thanks!
Super Contributor

add vinegar for this

Honored Contributor

If it bothers you that much, buy spring or distilled water to use in the canner.
Regular Contributor

On 10/30/2014 RedTop said: If it bothers you that much, buy spring or distilled water to use in the canner.
Obviously I thought of that.....It takes at least 3 gallons...and I woudnt want to re use it......I just want yo soften the tap water that I already pay for...I thought this might be something others had experience with,that's all...