Respected Contributor

Ever heard of an oil-less Fryer?

I saw some friends eating fried fish the other day and thought "how kewl". I want to cook some fried fish too! But I just want to "dunk" the fish into something. Is there such a thing as a oil-less fryer? I thought I saw a demo of one on TV ... {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

The food comes out looking fried, but no oil was used.

???

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Ever heard of an oil-less Fryer?

Found 'em. I think I'll pass.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

HSN has been pushing the Char-Broil unit all day long. Competition for the Masterbuilt smoker is what I figure. It's oiless, uses propane (count me out ) and no oil. Uses infrared heating. sure saves on buying oil, but, I don't want to mess with a big, heavy propane tank. Dangerous, to me. Keeping my Masterbuilt Smoker. you might like the Nuwave machine uses no oil at all, just hot air circulation.

Esteemed Contributor

Costco has an Air Fryer.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 Sharke said:

HSN has been pushing the Char-Broil unit all day long. Competition for the Masterbuilt smoker is what I figure. It's oiless, uses propane (count me out ) and no oil. Uses infrared heating. sure saves on buying oil, but, I don't want to mess with a big, heavy propane tank. Dangerous, to me. Keeping my Masterbuilt Smoker. you might like the Nuwave machine uses no oil at all, just hot air circulation.

I watched the Char-Broil video and I almost died when he said "PROPANE". {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Forget it!

Respected Contributor

I always thought they were basically a showtime rotisserie with a fan.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

HSN pushes the Phillips Air Fryer. Seems they were the first to sell it in the States and said is has been in Europe for years. Was even a TS once. I don't know, the food just doesnt look right to me when I've watched demos. It looks like it gets hot, but equivalent of deep frying?

Respected Contributor

I think the general idea is convection cooking, and I am dating myself, but I remember American Harvest was one of the first to come out with it.....and it worked for some things, but not for most....I would pass. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Yikes, cooking with propane? Nothing like food that tastes like gas, eh? Smiley Happy

As to the 'oil-free frying' - I would agree with Poodle that it is most likely just cooking with convection. The movement of the air, along with the heat, cooks the food.

Respected Contributor

Okay, here's my dumb follow-up question. Is FRIED food really bad for you? I've never in my life eaten much fried food because I was kind of chubby as a teen and had bad skin. That was ?? thousands ?? (not telling {#emotions_dlg.lol}) of years ago, and I never changed the habit.

I'd really like to make some fried fish. {#emotions_dlg.w00t} IMHO, fish just tastes better fried. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}