Respected Contributor

Tired of broken up, frozen pie crust from the store? Make your own. I will not buy another frozen crust.

Pie Crust makes 1 double pie or 2 single pies

2 cup all purpose flour (10oz)

3/4 c shortening (6oz)

1 t salt

4 T ice water

Put the flour and salt in a bowl, give it a stir, the using a pastry blender cut in the shortening.

Then using a blending fork stir in the water. Gather to make a ball, divide the dough in half.

Roll out on a floured pastry cloth.

I made 2 homemade sweet potato pies yesterday, hubby asked where'd you get the pie crust?? I told him I made it !!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of broken up, frozen pie crust from the store? Make your own. I will not buy another frozen crust.

Pillsbury from the dairy case for me. Not as excellent as homemade can be, but I sold my rolling pin, pastry blender, etc. when I downsized.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tired of broken up, frozen pie crust from the store? Make your own. I will not buy another frozen crust.

Can you use bisquick also? I have a huge box from Costco!
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't, Bisquick has baking powder and buttermilk in it.

There are recipes for Impossible Pies that use Bisquick. I have 2 Bisquick Cookbooks.

Trusted Contributor

I've made my own pastry crusts now for 43 years. My MIL took me under her wing when I first married her DS and she made sure I could roll out pie crust. It took me a while, but once I got it, I got it. I do use Pillsbury on occasion, but that's the only store bought pie dough I will even consider.

I made 20 apple dumplings on Sunday, using my own pie crust. It's cheaper than using Pillsbury, too.

I make my "crumbs" the night before and stick the bowl in the fridge. The next morning, I add the water and my egg and vinegar....the recipe that I use calls for one tablespoon of vinegar in a cup, mixed with one egg. And no, you don't taste the vinegar as the overall recipe makes 6 pie crusts. I always have my own pie crusts in the freezer, ready to be filled when I feel like making pies.

(Sell my rolling pins? Never! I have my rolling pins hanging on my kitchen wall. My prized rolling pin is the one my grandmother gave me; I can't tell you how many pie crusts that pin has rolled out. It has a lovely patina and is just gorgeous....and it's a good 100 years old!)

Esteemed Contributor

I've used the pie crust recipe from the old Crisco can for years, and it always turns out great. I do use the store bought ones in the silver tins when I don't want to take time to make them myself, and I haven't gotten broken ones in a long time. I used to have that problem, but maybe my stores' shippers have figured out a way to get them to the stores in one piece!

Maybe I should take PamelaSue's idea and make up several and freeze them myself - it definitely would be cheaper, and I would always have one ready to go!

Valued Contributor

I'm not good at pie crust making. When I open a frozen pie crust that has cracks, I just let it thaw then gently push the broken pieces back in place. No body knows after you add the filling.

Honored Contributor

I just started trying and I really mean trying to make a pie crust. I've been using ATK's recipe. My problem is that I use a deep dish or a tart pan and I'm always short. How do you calculate to make a larger recipe? I'm thinking of adding 1/4 cup more flour and a TBS of butter. This recipe calls for both butter and shortening. TIA

Respected Contributor

I use the ones in the dairy case, too. There's nothing easier than slipping that "quarter" into the pan, then unfolding it. They taste great, too. Then I concentrate on the filling.

Rolling out dough is one thing I have no interest in doing.

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

There are so many wonderful, simple, and inexpensive recipes for pie crust! Go online, or look in any cookbook. I sometimes add orange zest to mine, and it adds a great little zing!

Everyone thinks pie crust is difficult, but once you make a couple, you will learn how the dough needs to feel, how to roll, etc. The secret is ice water, and very cold butter.

Also, try the graham cracker piecrust, or one made with vanilla wafers or ginger snaps or even chocolate wafers. Delicious! Just crush, add melted butter, and bake for ten minutes in a preheated oven. So simple, and everyone will rave about your baking skills!Kiss