Honored Contributor

WHAT KEEPS YOUR DISHWASHER RUNNING WELL ??

I have an older model dishwasher that is not completely cleaning the dishes and I'm asking you to brainstorm with me here .....

I use a generic brand of DW soap and that has seemed fine up to this point, but now I'm thinking I should buy a box of a name brand powder (not liquid) soap, to compare if the soap's the problem. (any brands you can recommend?)

I also seem to remember seeing some comments here somewhere about cleaning the washer with some white vinegar .... or was it baking soda ..... or was that to clean the clothes washing machine? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Any suggestions or recommendations ??

Thanks!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Contributor

Re: WHAT KEEPS YOUR DISHWASHER RUNNING WELL ??

I had the same issue with mine. Tried the vinegar rinse (I googled how to do it), and that didn't really help much. I switched to Cascade Platinum pods and the difference was amazing! I thought I was going to have to buy a new dishwasher. Those pods saved us! They cost more, but so well worth it.
Super Contributor

My dishwasher is 25 years old and I use Cascade.

Occasional Contributor

I use LEMI-SHINE in addition to my dish washing tablets. The Lemi-Shine gets rid of the spots and film on my dishes.

Frequent Contributor

Even though we have municipal water, the water is still very hard. So, in addition to the dish detergent, we add about 1/2C-1C of Heinz Cleaning Strength Vinegar. Wal-Mart sells gallons of it next to the regular strength -- the cleaning version has green on the label.

Contributor

Run, do not walk, and pick up some Oxi Clean dishwasher detergent. I tried Lemmi Shine, dishwasher cleaner, etc etc. My dishes come out spotless every time. I don't rave about much but this stuff is awesome.
Honored Contributor

I use the Finish Powerball single packets and my dishes sparkle.

<h1 class="product">Finish® All In 1 Powerball® Tabs Fresh Scent</h1>
Powerball Fresh Scent

Thanks to its unique technology, our powerful tabs give you an amazing clean and Jet-Dry® shine – which means you’ll never have to re-wash your dishes ever again. Just imagine what you could do with all that extra time!

• Our revolutionary Pre-Soaking Powerball® bursts into action to scrub away the toughest food residues like dried on food like lasagna and oatmeal.
  • Our powerful cleaners remove even the toughest stains, like coffee and tea, and gently scrub your dishes and glasses sparkling clean.
  • Jet-Dry® rinse aid rinses away residues and helps to eliminate spots and film, delivering sparkling shine.
"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

On 10/27/2014 AnikaBrodie said:

I use the Finish Powerball single packets and my dishes sparkle.

<h1 class="product">Finish® All In 1 Powerball®Tabs Fresh Scent</h1>
Powerball Fresh Scent

Thanks to its unique technology, our powerful tabs give you an amazing clean and Jet-Dry® shine – which means you’ll never have to re-wash your dishes ever again. Just imagine what you could do with all that extra time!

• Our revolutionary Pre-Soaking Powerball® bursts into action to scrub away the toughest food residues like dried on food like lasagna and oatmeal.
  • Our powerful cleaners remove even the toughest stains, like coffee and tea, and gently scrub your dishes and glasses sparkling clean.
  • Jet-Dry® rinse aid rinses away residues and helps to eliminate spots and film, delivering sparkling shine.

Anika - this is the product recommended to me by the technician I had at my condo last spring. He'd come for a gasket problem which he fixed so quickly that he took time to check more. AS he worked, he talked, telling me the high-level Cascde pods I was using have been giving people problems - too much product, he said.

Trusted Contributor

When I was a kid, My mom would run the dishwasher through a cycle empty with Tang. Remember Tang? The dishwasher came out sparkling clean. She wouldn't let me drink it.

I will occasionally pour about a half cup of bleach in with a cycle. I don't drink that either.

Respected Contributor

You should check and see if you have a hard debris filter that probably needs to be cleaned out.

I have a 12 year old Kitchen Aid dishwasher. I use Cascade Platinum, JetDry (liquid) Vinegar rinse aid, and while I don't wash my dishes before putting them in my dishwasher I do ensure they are fairly well rinsed.