Esteemed Contributor

the new King Arthur Flour holiday catalogue

oh my! I just received this in the mail today and was practically salivating while looking through it. I'm not much of a baker, but they have lots of mixes that look like something even I could do. and beautiful holiday paper molds and containers. this makes me want to do some holiday baking. I've never ordered from this company though. have any of you ever used their mixes?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

Re: the new King Arthur Flour holiday catalogue

Oh, good! I hope mine is in the mail today! While I tend to like to make things from scratch, their mixes are very good. I ordered their gluten free cake mixe for a co-worker having a b-day and it was awesome. My homemade scones are like hockey pucks no matter what I do, but once I tried the KA mixes, I was hooked. DH loves them, but SHHH, he still thinks I make them from scratch.

Super Contributor

Yes, they are wonderful (both the mixes and the company). I'm with Sammijo, I also do most of my baking from scratch, but when it comes to scones forget it, they always turn out dry. The King Arthur scone mixes always turn out great and a nice variety of flavors. I order a lot of my baking supplies from them as well especially the parchment paper sheets in different sizes and no curling like you get with the rolls of parchment paper, all purpose bags for storing baked goods. The yeast bread mixes are really good too. The reviews are always helpful and if you are unhappy with something for any reason, they go out of their way to make it right (either helping you fix the problem, replacing or refunding). They have the best customer service. You can also sign up for email savings and updates, you get wonderful recipes, special deals and an occasional short survey wish usually gets you a $10.00 reward.

tkins

Trusted Contributor

Love King Arthur! Their chocolate chip cookie recipe (The Essential Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie from The King Arthur Cookie Companion) is the only one I make now. Their Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Biscotti recipe from the same book is just plain awesome. I have all of their cookbooks and can't find a thing wrong with any of the recipes.

We were just at the King Arthur store a couple weeks ago when we were in Vermont and I loved it there. DH and I spent a good 2-3 hours in the store. I came home with two bags of all-purpose flour (on sale and cheaper than what grocery stores carry it), a bag of bread flour, a bag of pizza flour, pizza dough seasoning, pearl sugar, some decorating sugars, a bottle of bakers ammonia (used in some of their sugar cookie recipes and I could not find it in our drug stores here in PA), a bottle of boiled apple cider, and many other items. I don't normally use mixes, but somehow a box of Eggnog Sugar Cookie mix and a box of Apple Cinnamon donut mix found their way into my cart, along with a new donut pan, courtesy of my DH. As well as a large coffee mug that says, "Bake". DH said he saw it and had to get it for me.

After shopping, we went into the bakery and enjoyed a cinnamon bun and an apple danish. I can tell you that, for a store-bought cinnamon bun, this was easily the best cinnamon bun I've ever eaten. DH loved his apple danish. Delicious. Simply delicious.

My dream is to go back and take a baking class. Alas, we were on the cancellation list for their pizza class that day, but nobody canceled....darn it. We will go back. It's an amazing place.

I haven't tried the mixes yet, but I can tell you that the recipes in the cookbooks and the King Arthur recipes online are superb!

Valued Contributor

Just got mine today, too. Love looking through their catalogs, and I DO love many of their products. However, I am always bummed that their shipping is high and that they rarely do a Free S&H. That's my only beef with KAF. Other than that, I love them!
Honored Contributor

I've never used their mixes as I'm scratch baker but I have ordered ingredients from them. Double check other sources, some of their stuff is easily found elsewhere for less.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

My late MIL swore by their ingredients and she was a wonderful baker. I was lucky enough to inherit many of her baking pans from KAF, but unfortunately, didn't get to learn her bread skills in the short time we had together.

I did try their sourdough starter and if you want a taste of heaven, try their recipe for Sourdough Carrot Cake. :::swoon:::

I recently purchased a bread maker and found another source for mixes called Prepared Pantry. Had a few misses (just our particular taste), but generally their mixes are foolproof and very good. They have a flat rate shipping of $5.99 for over $25 in orders and also sell individual ingredients.

So far, I'm having so much fun with their mixes, I haven't tried making my own bread! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Denise
Valued Contributor

I had to go look after all the raves and wow, so many tasty looking treats.

Regular Contributor

You can sign up for their newsletter,which is excellent. http://www.pages02.net/thekingarthurflourcompany/Signup/
Respected Contributor

We live about 40 minutes from the King Arthur Store in Norwich, VT. If you're ever in the area, you have to make a visit. It is really enjoyable.

We went there a couple of days ago and bought enough of their donut, scone and muffin mixes to last us through the winter. {#emotions_dlg.wub} Smile {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}