Honored Contributor

I don't think I've heard much before on this chef, on here.

Rachel Ray. I picked up a few of her cookbooks at the library today to see about her recipes. If I watch her show I find it interesting. Don't think I've ever read anyone raving about favorite recipes of hers on her. It's like Sandra Lee. I got some of the library books of hers the other day to look through. Not impressed with anything special out of any of her cookbooks, but I don't think she's ever been mentioned in here before either. If so, don't be offended, I just never saw them.

Anyone followers of either of these cooks?

Trusted Contributor

Re: I don't think I've heard much before on this chef, on here.

I don't care for her at all. Nor do I care for Sandra Lee.

Honored Contributor

and that, is probably why no one comments on these two.

Trusted Contributor

Sandra is not my favorite, despite the fact that she shares a house with our Governor! I do like Rachel, however. Her 'cabin' in the Adirondacks isn't far from here. She grew up in the area and comes back often to do charity events. I don't have any of her cookbooks, but the concept of good homemade food in 30 minutes I do like. I do use a few of her recipes in my rotation. DH likes one pot meals and she does quite a few cassarole type dishes. Again, she's not into processed foods, what she does in about half an hour is all good food.

Honored Contributor

I really liked Rachel a lot better when she was doing the $40.00 a day programs for the food network. I never missed a show but now I just skip on by her, just lost my interest in what she is doing.

Sandra I like due to her easier recipes. I have done one of the Barefoot Countesses' recipes but I am more of a Sandra type.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Regular Contributor

Its kind of trendy to dump on Rachael due to the fact that she has no formal culinary training, and has said (her words) "I am manifestly unqualified for every job I've ever held." Also, some people snipe at her "30 minute" meals due to the fact that some of the ingredients are prepped in advance, which sure cuts down on cooking times. Personally I've tried some of her recipes and they work, so that's good enough for me.

Same thing with Sandra due to her "trademark" semi-reliance on boxed ingredients. I don't know if I'd go as far as Anthony Bourdain did when he called her "The culinary devil."

Honored Contributor

Rachel is a down-home person who (I think) is good at cooking down-home dinners. I've watched and enjoy her shows, have purchased her spices (they're good) and look at the kind of things she's cooking. I get a kick out of her but she can really "get spun up" on some of the shows.... LOL!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

On 10/27/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

Ditto

Trusted Contributor

On 10/27/2014 Daysdee said:
On 10/27/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

Ditto

Double ditto.
Honored Contributor

We have a huge used book store chain in my area and RR has an entire bookcase of her books in the TV Chef section. No other tv chef has more books in there than RR.

I was commenting on that one day to 2 other women who were in that section and they both said they traded in her cookbooks because her recipes are a lot of work.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN