Esteemed Contributor

Blast from the Past: Pasta Machines

Do you remember when they sold pasta makers, pasta machines? It seemed like they featured them every other day - Bob Bowersox usually hosted the shows.

Never hear anything about them now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Blast from the Past: Pasta Machines

Two reasons why-

1) low carb

2) gluten free

Esteemed Contributor

I have one (not from QVC). Been on the shelf for years!

Esteemed Contributor

I use mine several times a year. I pull out the pasta machine when family comes over. but to be honest...Barilla pasta is so easy to cook w/ that many times I just use that vs making my own.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

I had a Ron Popeil?? Pasta machine that mixed and extruded the dough. After being stored many years, I tried to use it and the plastic cracked. Threw it away.

I do have a nice pasta machine from Italy, that you flatten the ready made dough and cut it.

Respected Contributor

I too had a Popeil machine that died rather quickly. I have an old Atlas that is a bit cumbersome and I now use it to dabble with polymer clay jewelry.....but I never could get making homemade pasta out of my system, and my family loves the stuff, so I bought the attachments for my Kitchenaid. I enjoy experimenting with flavors and colors. Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/26/2014 lolakimono said:

Two reasons why-

1) low carb

2) gluten free

You could make your pasta gluten free or low carb if you wanted!

Trusted Contributor

I have two pasta machines, one for my KA mixer and an old-fashioned pasta machine that my MIL gave to me. I still use them several times a year. I also make my own noodles; spinach noodles are wonderful. Love making my own ravioli, too! We don't have to worry about cards or gluten-free, so we're good.

Frequent Contributor

I do remember it, and I had one too. I was going through a foodie stage at the time. When I finally got one it was so difficult to get the precise mixture correctly, most of my pasta experiments were failures. Went to a charity shop pretty quick.

Regular Contributor

On 10/27/2014 Barbarainnc said:

I had a Ron Popeil?? Pasta machine that mixed and extruded the dough. After being stored many years, I tried to use it and the plastic cracked. Threw it away.

I do have a nice pasta machine from Italy, that you flatten the ready made dough and cut it.

Same here, the front nose piece would crack from the force of the auger. I did get replacement parts under warranty, but was forever on hold when calling in. (Before the web.) Can't really say why I stopped using it? It didn't do a bad job.