Respected Contributor

Momma wants a fruitcake this year, here is the BEST recipe !!! Just love it.

This is one of the most unusual recipes I have ever made. My friend Debbie, let me try it and I had to have the recipe. I didn't even like fruitcake, and this is the only one I will make or eat. JJ

Stirring Fruitcake Recipe

1 pound of butter

2 cups sugar

6 eggs

4 cups self-rising flour

1 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice

1 pound of candied cherries, rough chopped (red or green or some of both)

1 pound of candied pineapple, rough chopped

12 oz box of raisins or 2 cups

6 cups of chopped pecans

½ cup orange marmalade

Preheat oven to 350*

In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs. In another BIG bowl add the flour, spices, fruit and nuts. Stir to coat. Add this mixture to the creamed mixture, mix well. Place the batter in the biggest roasting pan you have. My pan was 13x18.5 x 2 inches. Now for the fun part, Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, stir it real good and pack the cooked mixture in a greased tube pan. I used my potato masher to pack the cooked cake mixture in the pan. Let it set on the counter overnight.

*** My Kitchen Aid 4.5 Qt wouldn't hold all the batter, I mixed what I could, then just mixed the rest of the flour, fruit, nuts and orange marmalade by hand with a spoon in the roasting pan. The cake weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz. Enjoy!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Momma wants a fruitcake this year, here is the BEST recipe !!! Just love it.

Thanks for sharing this recipe! This is one that I would definitely not modify (like cutting some of the sugar). I'm sure you could cut everything in half, though so it all fits in the Kitchen Aid. I think I would want to make that final transfer into smaller pans, too, since fruitcake is traditionally very rich, and you only need a bite.

Respected Contributor

Re: Momma wants a fruitcake this year, here is the BEST recipe !!! Just love it.

I love fruitcake-but I am the only one who does in my house. Is there any chance that this recipe could be halved??? This past week I made Paula Deens Sour Cream Pound Cake, using a recipe I found online. I made the original recipe, but just before I did, to my delight, I found a smaller version which was exactly half the original. Another question, if you are making the cake this early, are you making a "drunken" version? If you are, how often is "cocktail time" and how much do you use. I would love to make this with Captain Morgan Spiced Rum: my mother used to make hers with Bourbon, but it's a tad too strong for my taste. Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor

When I saw the title of your post, I was wondering if it was going to be like the last fruitcake I used to make.

Unlike a lot of people, I do like fruitcake, and starting when I was in college, I would make fruitcake every year ( I think I was inspired by Truman Capote's story "A Christmas Memory")....but it was the usual fruitcake with a lot of stuff in it, including the candied citron peel.

Then at some point I came across a fruitcake recipe that was simpler and had something like the four basic fruit/nut combo that your recipe has, the cherries, pineapple, walnuts (I think or maybe pecans) and either the raisins, or maybe dates or figs instead (I just can't remember). The batter just about held all that stuff together. It was just the most delicious fruitcake.

I haven't made it for some years now, as you can see I've forgotten the exact ingredients, and I've also forgotten where I got the recipe or if I still have it.

I'm going to search for it, but if I can't find it, I'll just use yours.

I agree it's the best, and I remember even people who didn't like other fruitcakes, seemed to like this one.

Respected Contributor

I love fruitcake! I haven't been able to find it in the stores. Maybe I can find a good place on-line to get one this year. My grandmother used to make it at Christmas, and it was great! She wasn't a great cook, but the fruitcake was good.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds delicious! I have fond memories of fruitcake. Wish I could make it and enjoy it but my weight loss goals get in the way and in my house I would be the only one eating it and I would no doubt finish off the whole thing. I will save this recipe, just in case.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/26/2014 Ms X said:

I love fruitcake! I haven't been able to find it in the stores. Maybe I can find a good place on-line to get one this year. My grandmother used to make it at Christmas, and it was great! She wasn't a great cook, but the fruitcake was good.

Ms X, the last (and first) fruitcake I got was from Collin Street Bakery. It was very, very good! I am really happy for this recipe, though!

Collin Street

Honored Contributor

My Mother, who had a huge sweet tooth, used to make one so loaded with candied fruit, it was way too much for me, but, her cake did not require baking either, she just refrigerated it, and ate the entire cake herself through the season.

I made a fabulous fruit cake one year, using dried fruit instead of candied, and some booze on top to soak in, and it was great, not as rich and sweet as the other kind.

Honored Contributor

On 10/26/2014 Harpa said:
On 10/26/2014 Ms X said:

Ms X, the last (and first) fruitcake I got was from Collin Street Bakery. It was very, very good! I am really happy for this recipe, though!

Collin Street

Yes, Collin Street Bakery is the best. I started ordering from them 25 years ago. My only complaint is that it has now gotten VERY expensive.

I get one about every other year now. I cut it into pieces, freeze them, then vacuum seal each piece separately and store in the freezer. That way it stays pristine and I can have a piece whenever I want.

Before I first had a CSB fruitcake I didn't like them.

Contributor

I'll have to try Collin Street Bakery. My MIL loves fruitcake, so this is where I'll order hers from this year. I always learn something here!