Super Contributor

Wild Turkeys don't look like this:

They look like this (below):

Why don't they have the same colors of feathers and head?

Respected Contributor

Selective breeding?

Super Contributor
The drakes -male are the red, the neutral are the hens-female. There are many different types of wild turkeys so all are different. My sweetie turkey hunts but wild turkey has a different taste than butterball so it's better fixed as dumplings or stew IMO.
Respected Contributor
On 10/25/2014 MOM of Mason said: The drakes -male are the red, the neutral are the hens-female. There are many different types of wild turkeys so all are different. My sweetie turkey hunts but wild turkey has a different taste than butterball so it's better fixed as dumplings or stew IMO.

Mom of Mason--I agree with you about the difference between the males and females. I also agree with you about the taste of wild turkey--LOL!

I had thought that the OP was asking why the domesticated turkeys were white with red heads and the wild were brown. I guess I misunderstood.

Honored Contributor

They must have a wild time. One can only wonder what goes on after dark. I think I'll have the rump roast.

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/25/2014 MOM of Mason said: The drakes -male are the red, the neutral are the hens-female. There are many different types of wild turkeys so all are different. My sweetie turkey hunts but wild turkey has a different taste than butterball so it's better fixed as dumplings or stew IMO.

Wild turkeys are plentiful up here. I used to have a mom and her babies come thru the back of my property every morning and every evening to feed. They were great to watch.

For dinner purposes I'll stick with a Butterball and pass on the gamey taste of wild turkey. The difference in taste is what they're fed on a farm vs in the wild, I'm sure.

Respected Contributor

The wild turkeys had become a nuisance back in central NY. Another idea gone awry. Not sure of their status now.

Honored Contributor

I live in California, and we have wild turkeys on the hill. They don't look like that! The are pretty skinny and brown colored. Maybe it is the draught. They run around like crazy end of September and October.

Esteemed Contributor

Ben Franklin proposed that the "wild turkey" be the national bird! They have a keen sense of hearing and sight. Instead, we got a scavenger bird, the eagle.

The best wild turkey is 101 proof.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor
On 10/25/2014 Sweetbay magnolia said:

Ben Franklin proposed that the "wild turkey" be the national bird! They have a keen sense of hearing and sight. Instead, we got a scavenger bird, the eagle.

best wild turkey is 101 proof.The

Yes, and with a side car of scotch