Respected Contributor

Bitter coating/residue on grapes

I have washed these grapes, soaked them in water with some vinegar, they still have a bitter coating on the skin. Anyone have a good solution they have tried?
Super Contributor

Re: Bitter coating/residue on grapes

On 10/25/2014 kittyloo said: I have washed these grapes, soaked them in water with some vinegar, they still have a bitter coating on the skin. Anyone have a good solution they have tried?

Although I'd like to, I probably cannot say, but did you check the country of origin? I only choose USA and a select few other countries for grapes--no matter the price or the "look" of the fruit.

If they were my grapes? I'd toss them if they were bitter. Grape skin can absorb chemicals into the fruit and cannot be washed off the skin.

Respected Contributor

On 10/25/2014 ical said:
On 10/25/2014 kittyloo said: I have washed these grapes, soaked them in water with some vinegar, they still have a bitter coating on the skin. Anyone have a good solution they have tried?

Although I'd like to, I probably cannot say, but did you check the country of origin? I only choose USA and a select few other countries for grapes--no matter the price or the "look" of the fruit.

If they were my grapes? I'd toss them if they were bitter. Grape skin can absorb chemicals into the fruit and cannot be washed off the skin.

I would return them. Food is too expensive to throw out.

Honored Contributor

Most grapes are oursourced in the grocery stores , unless you go to a farmer's market.

Super Contributor

On 10/25/2014 sparklestar said:
On 10/25/2014 ical said:

I would return them. Food is too expensive to throw out.

I agree. That's a better choice. But if it is between eating or not eating, I'd toss them, probably where you suggest--at the service desk for a return.

Super Contributor

On 10/25/2014 missyw1 said:

Most grapes are oursourced in the grocery stores , unless you go to a farmer's market.

Be careful with farmers' markets. Some (some) actually do not harvest locally and use the same "sources" as regular grocers do. Ask them where they grew that fruit or vegetable, or from what farm such and such came. I actually picked up a peach at a "farmers' market" and it still had the sticker stuck to its peach fur bottom that said "Chile"!

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/25/2014 ical said:
On 10/25/2014 missyw1 said:

Be careful with farmers' markets. Some (some) actually do not harvest locally and use the same "sources" as regular grocers do. Ask them where they grew that fruit or vegetable, or from what farm such and such came. I actually picked up a peach at a "farmers' market" and it still had the sticker stuck to its peach fur bottom that said "Chile"!

The farmers' market where I work is producer only. The vendors are not allowed to import their goods from anywhere. The board makes frequent surprise visits throughout the year to ensure this.

You can look at your market's website to see what their requirements are, or ask the Market Master the next time you go shopping.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

kittyloo, it might be the skin of the grape, not an additive.

Respected Contributor

Update on the grapes. Pulled the package out of garbage to see where they were from. USA imagine my surprise then I see on the back ""may have been treated with sulphur dioxide for fungicide use"" at least I know to look for that now. Grrrrrr
Esteemed Contributor

kittyloo, if the sulfur dioxide left a residue, you would smell it before you opened the package.