Honored Contributor

What's the secret to making a GREAT garden salad?

I need to make one for company this weekend and so often they are a huge snooze.

What's the key for making them interesting?

Thank you. Smile

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's the secret to making a GREAT garden salad?

Well, I guess starting with an interesting mix of greens. I add dandelion, spinach and lots of arugula to my mesculn and then toss in plenty of corse-chopped fresh herbs.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

Color. Pick fruits, veggies, leaves, root vegetables, nuts, berries, seeds, legumes, for their color. Prepare and toss. Dressing on the side.

Make what I call a Kaleidoscope Salad! Smile

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 gardensla said:

Well, I guess starting with an interesting mix of greens. I add dandelion, spinach and lots of arugula to my mesculn and then toss in plenty of corse-chopped fresh herbs.

Very interesting. What kinds of herbs are you favorites?

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Believe it or not, when I started adding a dash of salt and pepper in to the toss, my salads started tasting a lot better. A good mix of greens and veggies aren't a bad idea either.
Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 RedHeadedWench said: Believe it or not, when I started adding a dash of salt and pepper in to the toss, my salads started tasting a lot better. A good mix of greens and veggies aren't a bad idea either.

I agree! But when there are others who are going to eat it, well, someone might complain about "salt" or a bit of "pepper", so I will leave it bland. But personally, I agree, it does add to the flavor and I prefer it that way too!

Trusted Contributor

I add fruit and nuts to mine. I love to slice up green and red grapes in my salads. I also add shredded cheese, red onion, cucumber, tomato and a boiled egg.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/21/2014 house_cat said:
On 10/21/2014 gardensla said:

Very interesting. What kinds of herbs are you favorites?

Fresh mint, cilantro, Italian parsley, nothing special, just lots of each. I've made salads with just herbs and edible flowers. Big fan of edible flowers!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Bagged salad mix, raisins, and dried cranberries and nuts some times grapes or clemantines, shreded cheese, dressing on the side

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

All the above and very cold. I chill a Stainless Bowl to prep and store the salad. Then transfer to my serving bowl. I have a beautiful Robert Lee Morris stainless salad bowl.