Valued Contributor

Help! One oven, two items to bake, different temperatures.

I am hosting a small dinner party this weekend and am making a tried and true baked chicken recipe. I have a ton of garden tomatoes to use and found a Scalloped Tomatoes recipe from Ina Garten. The chicken bakes at 425 and the tomatoes at 350 -- both for 40 minutes. How do I successfully do this? Thanks to all who reply!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Help! One oven, two items to bake, different temperatures.

Take care of the tomatoes first. Set them aside for a while.

Raise the oven temperature and make the chicken. Microwave the tomato dish before serving.

Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 insomniac said:

Raise the oven temperature and make the chicken. Microwave the tomato dish before serving.

Great advice......I often have to do the switch during the holidays since I too only have one small oven.........sometimes I can use my crock pot and then just brown in the oven...........a Nesco oven is nice too........I had a great one but it was ""lost"" when I moved.....
Honored Contributor

Bake both for 40 minutes at 350. At the end if the tomatoes aren't browned on top, stick them under the broiler.

Super Contributor

girl you would flip if I told you how i would do it.

Respected Contributor

I have these problems every holiday. How I wish I had gotten the double oven when I had the chance. Do you have the warming drawer? Bake the tomatoes at 425 for less time and put them in the warming drawer.
Honored Contributor

As a rule ovens tend to have pretty big swings in temp even while set for one specific temp. You're apt to find the temp swinging both above and below the set temp, but averaging out to the set temp. In this case I'd choose a compromise temp between the two and adjust the cooking times accordingly. I might go with a four hundred degree oven and cook the chicken an extra five minutes or so and the tomatoes five minutes or so less than listed.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Do you have a good-sized toaster oven, or a Nesco? Bake the tomatoes in there.

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 insomniac said:

This is what I would do as well except my stove top usually gets pretty warm if the oven is on for awhile so I always set my first ""cooked"" dish on top of the stove covered while the second is cooking. Usually does not need the microwave.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

Since neither dish is a delicate cake or baked good, I'd just split the difference and go 380 for both. The chicken may take a few minutes longer, the tomatoes a few less, but if you watch them it won't be a problem.