Respected Contributor

In search of recipe involving hot milk and bread?

I'm looking for a recipe that my co-worker told me about. Her mother would make a bread, roll it out flat, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, roll it up, put it in a loaf pan, and pour hot milk over it, then bake it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm looking for the name and a formal recipe as the bread part could be yeast bread or just bread.

It is an old fashioned recipe. She was born in 1949, was the youngest of the children, and lived in northern Mississippi.

Super Contributor

Re: In search of recipe involving hot milk and bread?

Hi tigriss! I've got a few questions! I find this stuff fascinating. Smile

It sounds like bread pudding to me.

If her mom made the bread for this, maybe it was a very eggy bread? If so, it'd be a version of bread pudding.

OR, maybe your friend's memory is hazy, and perhaps didn't know that some eggs had been added to the hot milk which was poured over the bread?

What was the texture when it was eaten? Bread or cake-like, or pudding-ish?

Inquiring minds would like to know. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

ETA: In your description of how the 'bread' was rolled out flat, then sprinkled w/ cinnamon & sugar and rolled up - it sounds like making cinnamon rolls.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if these kind of things are left over from the depression. My mom was a teenager during the depression and she used to give us toast in hot milk in a bowl with sugar. Seems to me she used to say that is what they had for dinner sometimes.

Respected Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Still Raining said:

I wonder if these kind of things are left over from the depression. My mom was a teenager during the depression and she used to give us toast in hot milk in a bowl with sugar. Seems to me she used to say that is what they had for dinner sometimes.

yes! ... milk toast !! my mother would make us that too once in a while. she would say ' i'll make you a nice bowl of milk toast'

Super Contributor

Girls before I got out of town and fled into my first marriage I can remember some horrible things. Picking cotton all day, sweeping sick rooms, watching healthy cousins turn to skin and bone. I remember hot cornbread and 3 spoons of peas. I remember drinking out of the community water 1 BIG OLD RUSTY SPOON- and praying the bath water was not full of dirt.

GIRLS I WOULD NEVER EAT THIS--NO It was a time I cannot say I would wish on anyone.

DEPRESSION BREAD MADE IN A MODERN WORLD- NO

The man i married and left town with was a depressing marriage but girls I did eat good food and stocked my closets. I even have a few pieces of jewelry I keep in site so as never to forget.

Honored Contributor

Ewww...
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

That does sound more like a type of bread pudding, but I suppose it could also be a version of milk toast, which my mother, raised during the Depression, told me about. If so, it would have been a yummier version than most kids got ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 moonchilde said:

That does sound more like a type of bread pudding, but I suppose it could also be a version of milk toast, which my mother, raised during the Depression, told me about. If so, it would have been a yummier version than most kids got ;-)

TRUE MAMA made me work in the kitchen and this was after picking in the sun all day.

I hated that kitchen . I saw food that i will never forget

Trusted Contributor

Still Raining, I think you are probably right that a recipe like that sounds like depression era food. My grandfather used to crush up graham crackers and pour milk over it. He thought that was quite a treat! I'm sure it was considered more special than milk toast because of those fancy graham crackers!

We are so spoiled these days. And I kind of like that. Wink

Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Vamp said:

Still Raining, I think you are probably right that a recipe like that sounds like depression era food. My grandfather used to crush up graham crackers and pour milk over it. He thought that was quite a treat! I'm sure it was considered more special than milk toast because of those fancy graham crackers!

We are so spoiled these days. And I kind of like that. Wink

oh and I love Graham crackers...LOVE EM