Honored Contributor

Swiss Steak--Blast from the Past 1960s?

Since the goulash subject came up, it reminded me of another staple in the olden days for my family: Swiss Steak!

As a very young cook, it was my first specialty dish. It was a big ole round steak, pounded out a little with the meat mallet, dredged in flour, salt and lots of pepper and browned in a little corn oil (back then that was what we used). Then you put sliced onion and green bell pepper strips in and cooked them a bit, turned the temp down and put a can of diced tomatoes over it and put the lid on and let it simmer until cooked and tender. I think we took the lid off after awhile to let the liquid cook down some.

It was ALWAYS made in our harvest gold, non-stick, electric fry pan! LOL!!! I guess because it was big enough for that big old steak! I LOVED that dish and haven't made it in years!

Contributor

Re: Swiss Steak--Blast from the Past 1960s?

I used to make it just that way for my family and we loved it. I also haven't made it in years. I also used to use what was called chopped steak to make it.

Think I will have to make it again soon. Thank you for the reminder.

Super Contributor

oh that sounds so good. I remember it well. I do not fret over this new change in eating habit. I eat , and pray over my food. Im still doing fab.

Super Contributor

Oh, that's one of my favorites. I haven't made it in a long time. My family loved it. I would make a lot of tomato gravy and make a batch of mashed potatoes with it. Yum!

Respected Contributor

I cut the steak into serving sizes and sub picante sauce for tomatoes. Best of all, I make it in crockpot.

Respected Contributor

Now this is something I love, unfortunately hubby does not. Sometimes I make it when he's out of town and freeze portions for myself for lunch.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I'm going to declare ""Swiss Steak Day"" at my house soon. The more I think about this the more I want some!

Honored Contributor

I used to love it also. I made mine in a big speckled dark blue roaster with lid. Mine was rubbed with garlic before pounding the flour into it. I was thinking recently I should try once again. I remember the flour flying everywhere during the pounding, lol.

Honored Contributor

OMG--Swiss steak sounds so wonderful!! I make it regularly with the tomato gravy and mashed spuds!!! Another thing I LOVE, LOVE ,LOVE is salisbury steak!! Make them both is my Nesco oven----remember Nesco and sweet Virginia???

Honored Contributor

I haven't made this in ages but I used to love it. All I really remember was using pounded out round steak, dredged, and I remember the stewed tomatoes.

I cooked it in my 1969 Presto Pressure Cooker. Since it was a stove-top pressure cooker back then, you could do your browning in the pan before adding the rest of the stuff and pressurizing it.

I think it went down with mashers. Smiley Happy