Trusted Contributor

Help with taking a meal 2 hrs away

I will be visiting a relative 2 hrs away, who is pretty much house-bound. So I can't take her to a restaurant. I was considering stopping at Bob Evans and taking a family meal to her, but not exactly sure where there is one near her. Then I found a large family size frozen veggie lasagna which I thought might be good to bring. I also have a family favorite 5 bean casserole which I could bring. My question is 2-fold. What else could I bring to make a nice meal. Possibly make or buy a large salad. 2nd problem is I doubt I can heat it up and keep it warm for the 2 hr trip. Yet I can't bring a frozen product that takes 1 1/2 hrs to heat up. We want to eat as soon as I get there. Any suggestions are welcome.

Super Contributor

Re: Help with taking a meal 2 hrs away

What I would do is google the restaurants near your relative and either call or stop by one that is near their home and do a take out. Done.

Contributor

I used to have to take meals to family and thru trial and error, this is what worked for me.

A hot family sized Stouffer's lasagna, wrapped heavily in newspaper, then bath towels and placed in an ice chest kept hot for for quite awhile. I think the key is to fill the ice chest with as much "insulation" ( newspaper and towels) as could fit in the box.

If the 5 bean casserole is a hot dish it too can be wrapped and put in the ice chest.

Add some bags of salad greens, loaves of french bread and homemade cookies for dessert.

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

Does she have a kitchen - can't you heat it up once you get there?

Honored Contributor

If there is any restaurant near, get a to - go there. It is hard to keep things in a safe temp. for a long drive. Barring that, how about cold sandwich meats in a cooler with ice, a cake, a pasta salad with veggies, cold and on ice too.

Honored Contributor

Get one (or more) of those bags from the grocery store that keep food hot for hours. Put the container of food in there.

Honored Contributor

wrap it in foil and put it in a good old fashioned thermal bag

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

First thing go to her hometown and just do a search for restaurants and see what choices you have for takeout there.

Otherwise if you cook the food before you leave and put it in a cooler it will be fine by the time you arrive.

Respected Contributor

Give yourself a small time to re-heat your casserole. I stop and pick up bread and salad fixings at local grocery. Put bread and casserole in to heat in 400 oven for just a little time (15 minutes) while you catch up. You really don't have to start eating immediately so why force your meal to be instant! If you bought a meal right there you would still need to zap it. Relax and enjoy your visit.
Super Contributor

No microwave there, either?