Honored Contributor

Have you ever used barley in place of rice for stuffed cabbage?

I found a recipe that I'm not happy with, but the idea of using barley in place of rice is intriguing.

Has anyone done this? I'm curious about the difference.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever used barley in place of rice for stuffed cabbage?

No, I haven't for stuffed cabbage but I have for stuffed peppers. I have bought cabbage rolls at Costco with quinoa and other grains.

Stuffed peppers I have used barley, quinoa and even couscous. It turns out great. Don't over cook the grains. I like the texture of barley and the the taste of barley, quinoa and it makes it a bit healthier

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Shoekitty. I also like the texture of barley. I think I'm going to try it this time.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

House Cat, my DH loves barley, and I think it brings more to the table nutritionally. I have used it to make fried rice and it was excellent. I have been dying for cabbage rolls and I think I will give it a try. I don't think we will be disappointed. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Poodlepet said: House Cat, my DH loves barley, and I think it brings more to the table nutritionally. I have used it to make fried rice and it was excellent. I have been dying for cabbage rolls and I think I will give it a try. I don't think we will be disappointed. Poodlepet

I love it, too. My dad is diabetic and I think it is lower on the glycemic index than rice. I've got it cooking now. I'm going to put the rolls together and cook them in the slow cooker tomorrow.

Have you ever done them in the slow cooker? I'm thinking 6-8 hours on low?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I have not tried in a slow cooker, and maybe somebody will chime in here.....the one thing I can tell you is that cooked barley has a slightly "slimy" consistency, and it does not bother me or DH, but it does bother my DD who is still in the autistic spectrum as far as textures are concerned......I have always used the quick cooking variety, but as of late, my grocer is carrying barley that looks like wheat berries....Hugsthere is no way that stuff is fast cooking. I am pretty sure just looking at it, probably needs to be handled as you would dried beans......ok House Cat-I think we need to research this, now that you have me thinking about this. The quick cooking stuff is not going to work for a crock pot recipe.....I am thinking it would be overcooked and gross. I will start researching, and hopefully we will come up with something.Hugs, Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't tried it but it sounds like a great idea for cabbage or peppers. I like the quinoa idea too.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Poodlepet said: I have not tried in a slow cooker, and maybe somebody will chime in here.....the one thing I can tell you is that cooked barley has a slightly "slimy" consistency, and it does not bother me or DH, but it does bother my DD who is still in the autistic spectrum as far as textures are concerned......I have always used the quick cooking variety, but as of late, my grocer is carrying barley that looks like wheat berries....Hugsthere is no way that stuff is fast cooking. I am pretty sure just looking at it, probably needs to be handled as you would dried beans......ok House Cat-I think we need to research this, now that you have me thinking about this. The quick cooking stuff is not going to work for a crock pot recipe.....I am thinking it would be overcooked and gross. I will start researching, and hopefully we will come up with something.Hugs, Poodlepet

I pre-cooked the barley. I'll be up very early in the morning to get the crock pot going. I'll let you know how it turns out.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 betteb said:

I haven't tried it but it sounds like a great idea for cabbage or peppers. I like the quinoa idea too.

Yes. That's a great idea. I always have quinoa on hand, but for some reason I didn't think of it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Just an update - they were very good. I couldn't really tell the difference in the end between the rice mixture I always used and the barley.

~ house cat ~