Respected Contributor

Making mango salsa but need to tone down heat

My mother would pour tobacco over everything before even tasting the food-that is not me by any stretch. I am breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it, and my skin is burning, so, I am pretty sensitive. I ran across this mango salsa recipe that is served on grilled fish, but it has jalapeno (seeded and minced), as well as Pablano. I can eat jalapeno poppers because they are seeded. I have never bought plain jalapenos in a jar, however. Are they sold already seeded? I really don't know much about the Scoville scale, but just how hot are Pablanos? I really don't want a lot of heat....could I substitute chilli powder, cumin or smoked paprika? Any advice would be appreciated. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Re: Making mango salsa but need to tone down heat

If I were making this I would use the red pepper flakes they have in restaurant shakers for pizza. Simple to find and you can keep testing for heat as you add it. Check Penzeys website. The catalog has a good description of Scoville units and I'm betting the website does, also.

Respected Contributor

Jalapeños in jars are not good IMO. Generally they have vinegar in them. Poblanos are about like any hot pepper just depends on the year, I've had some pretty hot ones. I prefer jalapeños myself. They have great flavor. How many does it call for? I would definitely seed them.

Green chilis maybe? Those are mild and flavorful. I usually buy several kinds of peppers in the summer and roast them on the grill. After they are cooled I peel them and roll them up tight in saran wrap and use them through the winter.

I would love the recipe you found.

I would probably not use the spices myself. Cut the peppers into 1/2 or even 1/4. Even omit the poblano.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I thought about using red pepper flake, and just reading about it is making me sweat!!! The mind is truly an amazing thing-a mere memory can trigger a physiologic response! There is one idea a I have; perhaps you can help me come up with a way to evenly distribute it....my son loves this chipotle sauce that I can tolerate in very small amounts. If I liquify just a little bit of mango, add a little of the chipotle and let it hang out in the fridge for a bit, do you think that would work? The recipe does call for 2 tsp of minced garlic, so that would give it a little punch, but I just feel like it needs some kind of kick. Thanks for your help, Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

Debt, I am on my Kindle and it won't allow me to format the way I would like to, but here it is....2 mangos, chopped, 2 firm avocados, diced, 1 jalapeno seeded and minced, 1 bell pepper, chopped, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro,1 tsp lime zest, 1/4 C fresh like juice, 2 tsp minced garlic, 1 1/2 tsp salt,and 1/4 c olive oil. This recipe came from Southern Living and was made to go on a fish we get in Florida called Grouper. Grouper is a wonderful white meaty mild fish, but I am sure cod or paddock would be fine. Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Poodlepet said: I thought about using red pepper flake, and just reading about it is making me sweat!!! The mind is truly an amazing thing-a mere memory can trigger a physiologic response! There is one idea a I have; perhaps you can help me come up with a way to evenly distribute it....my son loves this chipotle sauce that I can tolerate in very small amounts. If I liquify just a little bit of mango, add a little of the chipotle and let it hang out in the fridge for a bit, do you think that would work? The recipe does call for 2 tsp of minced garlic, so that would give it a little punch, but I just feel like it needs some kind of kick. Thanks for your help, Poodlepet

LOL, well I would like that. I mix chipotle powder with salt for my popcorn. Yummy. It also goes in my dry rubs for ribs and hot wings. I used chipotle tobacco before that.

How about making a batch omitting all peppers and experiment with a little bit at a time? I've bought mango salsa from costco before. It's a bit much for just me but I like it.

~~
Respected Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Poodlepet said: Debt, I am on my Kindle and it won't allow me to format the way I would like to, but here it is....2 mangos, chopped, 2 firm avocados, diced, 1 jalapeno seeded and minced, 1 bell pepper, chopped, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro,1 tsp lime zest, 1/4 C fresh like juice, 2 tsp minced garlic, 1 1/2 tsp salt,and 1/4 c olive oil. This recipe came from Southern Living and was made to go on a fish we get in Florida called Grouper. Grouper is a wonderful white meaty mild fish, but I am sure cod or paddock would be fine. Poodlepet

Thanks. Sounds really good. Now I don't think that would be that hot for me. Maybe try 1/2 jalapeño? Or a small anaheim (partial can of diced green chilis) You can freeze what you don't use. Those are the most flavorful peppers without extreme heat IMO. I looked up the Pablano and they're supposed to be mild, but I've had so pretty hot ones.

~~
Contributor

Poodlepet, you can always add more mango, and other non spicy ingredients to your salsa to tone down the heat from the jalapeño. Or start off using 1/4, or 1/2 of the seeded jalapeño until it's where you like the kick. I would omit the poblano, as those additions are usually optional to your own preference. I love spicy foods, but so many of my family aren't fans of spicy. Hope your recipe turns out well.

Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Poodlepet said: My mother would pour tobacco over everything before even tasting the food-that is not me by any stretch. I am breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it, and my skin is burning, so, I am pretty sensitive. I ran across this mango salsa recipe that is served on grilled fish, but it has jalapeno (seeded and minced), as well as Pablano. I can eat jalapeno poppers because they are seeded. I have never bought plain jalapenos in a jar, however. Are they sold already seeded? I really don't know much about the Scoville scale, but just how hot are Pablanos? I really don't want a lot of heat....could I substitute chilli powder, cumin or smoked paprika? Any advice would be appreciated. Poodlepet

Sorry, poodle, but I just couldn't pass it up!

I'm sure you meant tabasco! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

YES! I meant to say Tobasco-The Kindle is really funny with word recognition: It didn't recognize "Tobasco" so it inserted "tobacco" in its place....same thing with Debc: even though I put that into the dictionary, it decided to call her "debt"....what's funny is that every now and then it inserts obscenities or banned words: I really to get better at proofreading! Poodlepet