Honored Contributor

ISO Looking for an old Southern Living Christmas Book Turnip Casserole recipe

My cousin made a turnip casserole one Christmas that was REALLY good (and I am NOT a turnip fan normally). I remember it had turnips and cream of wheat and was from the Southern Living Christmas book. It was some time ago, maybe as far back as the 90's. She can't find it and I wondered if any of you have that book and could find it.

THANKS a bunch for looking! Turnips! I can't believe I ate turnips and liked them! LOL!!! If you have it I would appreciate it so much if you could post it!

Not applicable

Re: ISO Looking for an old Southern Living Christmas Book Turnip Casserole recipe

This recipe isn't from the Christmas book but from 30 Years of Southern Living's best recipes so maybe it will work. I haven't tried it so let us know how it is if you make it.

Turnips Au Gratin 6 Servings

9 medium turnips, peeled and diced (about 3 pounds)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

2 Tblsp butter or margarine

2 Tblsp all purpose flour

1 ½ cups milk

¾ cup (3 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese

1 tsp seasoned salt

1/8 tsp pepper

¼ cup fine, dry breadcrumbs (store bought)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes or until diced turnips are tender. Drain well and set aside.

Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Add cheese, seasoned salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat; stir in diced turnips.

Spoon turnip mixture into a lightly greased 1 ½ quart casserole; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ISO Looking for an old Southern Living Christmas Book Turnip Casserole recipe

Sooner: Found this on line. Does it sound like the recipe you are looking for?

Boop

TURNIP CASSEROLE

Submitted by Diana Abbott of Moody

1 medium turnip or rutabaga

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, coarsely chopped

1 cup water

3/4 stick butter or margarine

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup cream of wheat

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Peel and dice turnip. Add to saucepan with carrots, onion, and water. Cover and cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Do not drain. Add butter and mash. Stir in egg and milk. Mix cream of wheat with sugar, salt, and pepper; stir into turnip mixture. Turn into a greased 1-1/2- or 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot throughout and bubbly around the edges.

- See more at: http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20071022/PARENTS/710180353#sthash.f9U9TPCv.dpuf

Super Contributor

YUK, Cream of Wheat ???????

I love turnips, but you couldn't get me to eat 1/8 tsp. of Cream of Wheat, YUCKY !!!

Couldn't you substitute something else in it's place? Why use it at all ?

Any suggestions ??

Thanks !

Trusted Contributor

I love turnips!

thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 flbettyboop said:

Sooner: Found this on line. Does it sound like the recipe you are looking for?

Boop

TURNIP CASSEROLE

Submitted by Diana Abbott of Moody

1 medium turnip or rutabaga

3 carrots, sliced

1 onion, coarsely chopped

1 cup water

3/4 stick butter or margarine

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup cream of wheat

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Peel and dice turnip. Add to saucepan with carrots, onion, and water. Cover and cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Do not drain. Add butter and mash. Stir in egg and milk. Mix cream of wheat with sugar, salt, and pepper; stir into turnip mixture. Turn into a greased 1-1/2- or 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot throughout and bubbly around the edges.

- See more at: http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20071022/PARENTS/710180353#sthash.f9U9TPCv.dpuf

That sounds more like it! AS I REMEMBER it was more of a soufflé or spoon-bread like dish, so the cream of wheat was for texture and the taste of grain like a soufflé or spoon bread had. There weren't carrots as I remember but maybe so. I DO remember the turnips were mild and added a nice almost sweet flavor. THANKS a bunch! I will try this and see!

Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Remee said:

YUK, Cream of Wheat ???????

I love turnips, but you couldn't get me to eat 1/8 tsp. of Cream of Wheat, YUCKY !!!

Couldn't you substitute something else in it's place? Why use it at all ?

Any suggestions ??

Thanks !

If you ate this you would never on earth guess it was cream of wheat. It is just a binder, like you would use flour or cornmeal.

Contributor

Going to try these, YUM!

Trusted Contributor

Yum! Going to farmer's market and getting fresh turnips! Thanks.
Honored Contributor

Have fun with this and if you make one of these recipes, or find it in the old Christmas book, please let us know. Maybe we will revive some interest in turnips! LOL!! Who knows?