Respected Contributor

I bought 2 flavors of torani syrup to put in my coffee and want to know what I'm doing wrong. Instead of a mild raspberry flavor I get a curdled mess. I use coffee and half& half or coffee and French vanilla creamer. Always a curdled looking mess. What am I missing?

Super Contributor

traveler, if the syrups you bought are fruity ones, then they're gonna curdle your cream. If you always use cream or a flavored creamer, stick to the syrups that aren't citrusy. Citrus ones, like raspberry, are better for lemonade, etc.

Respected Contributor

TY. I went to he Torani site and this is their answer.

"Torani’s fruit flavored syrups contain similar acids as those found in real fruit, which can cause milk to curdle. While this may not look great, it is a natural occurrence and does not affect the flavor. A popular technique in coffeehouses is to add Torani Syrup to the coffee first, and then pour the milk. The coffee dilutes the acidity of the syrup so the milk can remain creamy good. Don’t have time for a chemistry lesson? Then try one of Torani’s Dairy Friendly Fruit flavors like Orange, Red Raspberry, Sugar Free Red Raspberry, or Blue Raspberry in your milk based drinks. We’ve reduced the acidity for you, so you can just pour and mix however you’d like."

Valued Contributor

I use the sugar free syrups, mostly chocolate, hazelnut and caramel. I drink my coffee black so its never happened to me. Love those syrups!

Honored Contributor
On 10/17/2014 traveler said:

While this may not look great, it is a natural occurrence and does not affect the flavor.

LOL - It may not affect the flavor but it would definitely affect my ability to drink my coffee.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Well, I've used Torani for years but never the fruity ones. I learned something NEW today for sure!

Respected Contributor

I tried some flavored creamer in my apple cider once, it didn't look pretty. LOL

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor
On 10/17/2014 expatgal said:

Well, I've used Torani for years but never the fruity ones. I learned something NEW today for sure!

I have not used their syrups, but I agree that I learned something new also!