Frequent Contributor

Candied Sweet Potates or Yams

How do you make your candied sweet potatoes or yams? My mother always made them for Thanksgiving. She peeled the sweet potatoes, sliced them, sauted them in butter in one layer, turning them, then whe all of the batches were cooked, she added them back to the pan and sprinkled in brown sugar and marshmallows. I have so much to cook and prepare on Thanksgiving now doing it all myself that I end up burning the potatoes. I'm thinking about cutting the peeled potatoes into chunks and roasting them in the oven. Then transfering them to a stove top pan adding butter, brown sugar, and marshmallows.

Do you think that this would work in place of the way my Mother always cooked them?

Honored Contributor

Re: Candied Sweet Potates or Yams

I don't see why not.

Trusted Contributor

You could bake & mash them, too.
Honored Contributor

<h1>TEXAS YAMS</h1>
My sister's mother-in-law used to bring these to every family dinner. Now I make them for Thanksgiving.

4 medium sized yams
1 cup sugar
dash salt
1 t cinnamon or nutmeg
3/4 stick butter
1/2 lemon, sliced very thin
1 T flour
1/4 c water

Peel and cut potatoes as for thick french fries. Place in 8 x 12 baking dish. Cover potatoes with sugar and salt. Sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg (or both) over sugar. Cover with pieces of butter. Twist slices of lemon over this and place peel in with potatoes. Sift flour evenly over top. Add water. Bake in 400 degree oven one hour or until done and sugar and butter have made a thick syrup about the consistency of molasses. Baste potatoes frequently with syrup.

I find this takes longer than an hour. I make it the day before and reheat it.

Honored Contributor

Sorry about the above. It came out jumbled but the recipe is OK....

Super Contributor

sweet potatoes baked slow and long. SEASONED ...Such a fav

Super Contributor

Well, being lazy at heart, I just either boil or microwave them (way too much trouble to peel and slice), slip them out of their skins and mash with a potato masher, adding butter, brown sugar and a little cinnamon. Put them in a casserole dish and (since DH does not like marshmallows), top them with a little streusel made from butter, brown sugar, a little flour and chopped pecans before baking. Sorry, no actual recipe, I just do it by "feel". If your family likes marshmallows, by all means use them instead.

Respected Contributor

On 10/16/2014 dfyre said:

Well, being lazy at heart, I just either boil or microwave them (way too much trouble to peel and slice), slip them out of their skins and mash with a potato masher, adding butter, brown sugar and a little cinnamon. Put them in a casserole dish and (since DH does not like marshmallows), top them with a little streusel made from butter, brown sugar, a little flour and chopped pecans before baking. Sorry, no actual recipe, I just do it by "feel". If your family likes marshmallows, by all means use them instead.

This is exactly what my grandmother and mother did.......the only difference being that they would bake the potatoes a day or two in advance and then throw together the casserole . Delicious !
Honored Contributor

I boiled them with skins on. When I can pierce them 1/4"" in - remove them from water. Slip the skins off. Sliced about 3/8"" thick and a dab of melted butter both sides and placed on sheet pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake until done. I like it better than boiled all the way through. It falls apart when trying to slice them. It is firmer and not mushy this way. That is the way I prepare them. No marshmellows.

Honored Contributor

This isn't a dish I'd make, but I think your revision is a very good one. It should work out very well.

For my taste, I love sweet potatoes only as a savory dish. We either just bake them (like a baked white potato, served w/butter and s&p), or make mashers out of them. Don't like yams, though. They are too mushy and not as tasty as sweet potatoes.