Esteemed Contributor

One of the volunteers at the farmers market can talk forever about nothing. She's one of those types. I find working with her very tedious, but I appreciate that she is a fellow volunteer.

Back in February, the Vendor Committee had a meeting. The actual content of the meeting took 20-30 minutes. We were there for over 3 hours because of her anecdotal stories.

For some reason, she thinks I have an interest in cider. The entire time that we are working, she will talk about cider. I had no idea there was enough information about cider to fill two hours, and I could care less.

I have told her that I have no interest in cider; I have changed the subject, to no avail; I even yawn when she talks.

I find myself volunteering less because I have to work with her.

How do you handle people like this?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I don't have a clue sorry. Move to a different station? I know a guy who always puts earbuds in and the cord into his pocket. He flies a lot and doesn't like getting caught in these kind of pockets. People think he's listening to music and he ignores them. LOL, probably wouldn't work at a farmers market, but maybe.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor
You have to "re-direct" them constantly, and state your point, and don't give them time. For example, at that meeting, somebody could have said something to the tune of " We all have busy lives and I enjoy being here, but we have work to do. Ok, here is how we are dealing with problem A, let's move on to problem B".....and this is going to sound rude to you, but if she is constantly going off on tangents, be honest with Poodlepether....It sounds as if she is engaging in attention getting behavior: she thinks she is witty and wants to be heard, but you can always make your observations clear, and hopefully she will get the message. ....and you can always walk in the opposite direction when you see her coming.
Honored Contributor

Be tough

tell you have to get busy with what ever you are doing and will talk to her later.

Who is running the meeting?

Can you speak up and say ""lets get back on topic so we can get out of here on time""

Super Contributor

I am not mean but those situations I run from. Tell her how you feel. I am sure she would tell you how she feels.

No if i start yawning were in trouble

Honored Contributor

You can't change her, so you have to change yourself. Walk away. Tell her Lisa Robertson stories. Whatever works to make you the happy one for a change.

Is there a reason you have to volunteer where the cider lady is - same place, same time? If not, the answer is easy - volunteer at a different time or at a different activity.

As for that long meeting - I'd be sure to drive myself and leave after a half hour! Further, I'd say something to the person in charge because if it's as bad as you say, they're in danger of losing volunteers if this keeps happening.

Esteemed Contributor

Jack, the meeting was in February. I put that in to show how much she talks.

We man the information booth for two hours. For me, that's set. She usually stays on after the previous "shift" so she can talk to me about cider. Because she isn't scheduled to work, I don't know until she sits down that she will be working.

I don't half mind her talking about anything other than cider. It makes the time go by faster.

Esteemed Contributor

She sent me an email offering me a book on cider. I responded telling her that while I appreciate the offer, the book should go to someone who has an interest in cider.

She said she will bring the book to the farmers market!

Super Contributor

You just reminded me of why I hate volunteer work. I know, that sounds horrible. But in reality (at least for me) it sounds great on paper but isn't for me. Either there are 1 or 2 people who want to be "chiefs" and do little to no grunt work, or you have people like you are describing here. I find it more depressing than rewarding. She's a leech, plain and simple. You've told her clearly you have zero interest in cider and she still hounds you about it? I would stop being so "nice" ... but that's just me.

Honored Contributor
On 10/16/2014 expatgal said:

You just reminded me of why I hate volunteer work. I know, that sounds horrible. But in reality (at least for me) it sounds great on paper but isn't for me. Either there are 1 or 2 people who want to be "chiefs" and do little to no grunt work, or you have people like you are describing here. I find it more depressing than rewarding. She's a leech, plain and simple. You've told her clearly you have zero interest in cider and she still hounds you about it? I would stop being so "nice" ... but that's just me.

Yes, I had to learn the hard way about leeches! Also, I agree 100 percent about volunteer work. So often a few people are sidetracked, arguing, petting one another, goofing off, being beautiful, or whatever while the worker bees do all the work. And usually the others get to decide how the worker bees are going to do their work.

Bad attitude???? {#emotions_dlg.blushing}