Honored Contributor

guess I'm missing the newest way of cooking!

Every time I look at the cooking shows seems they are selling a pressure cooker OR Ninja cooking system. In fact, I received David's new book and most chapters are reserved for this way of cooking. I love my LeCrueset Dutch oven that has served me well for the past many years for roasts, gravy (sauce), frying & more - I think about these new ways of cooking (to me I know my grandmother had a pressure cooker still remember the rattling!) Everything looks delicious & quick I'm tempted but they are so large capacity and there is only the 2 of us - am I missing the next "big" thing since I love cooking and baking.
Super Contributor

Re: guess I'm missing the newest way of cooking!

You are not alone. I still use my Le Creuset bakeware. I don't have a pressure cooker or a Ninja.
Valued Contributor

I love my crock pot and my Rachel Ray cookware, especially on those cold days when it's nice to have the oven on.
Valued Contributor

Sorry for the double post.
Valued Contributor

Ninja has really pushed the marketing this past year. it's constantly on the Q, the infomercial is always on, as well as being featured in various tv shows, movies, etc. Don't feel bad for not having one, I don't either Wink If I was to get back into the juicing craze then I could see myself getting the smaller Ninja, otherwise not so much.

I've seen the various pressure cookers on the shopping channels and have been tempted to buy but I know I would rarely use it. I barely use my crock pot. I prefer good ol' stove top and my toaster oven. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

All I've ever needed were a couple frying pans and a few pots.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I live alone and use my 6 qt electric pressure cooker a lot. If I make too much, I like to freeze leftovers for quick meals later. You don't have to fill it; you can make far less than 6 qts of food, or you can buy a 4 qt. I used a 4 qt stovetop for many, many years and still use it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I've had 4 or 5 electric pressure cookers. The first one I had lasted about 18 months. The next several didn't even make it six months each. The electrical panels always failed. Then I became concerned about the chemicals in the non-stick inner pot, and the high cooking temperature, and decided I wouldn't buy another.

The same with the Ninja. I could get a lot of use from a Ninja Cooking System. But, I recently contacted the company's customer service center, and was told there are no plans to make the cook pot in the Ninja PFOA and PTFE free.

If they go "chemical free", I would definitely buy one. I'd like a surgical stainless steel inner cook pot, and would be willing to pay a little more to have one. Until then, I'll stick with my stainless stove-top cookware.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Frequent Contributor

On 10/12/2014 only shops online said:

I've had 4 or 5 electric pressure cookers. The first one I had lasted about 18 months. The next several didn't even make it six months each. The electrical panels always failed. Then I became concerned about the chemicals in the non-stick inner pot, and the high cooking temperature, and decided I wouldn't buy another.

The same with the Ninja. I could get a lot of use from a Ninja Cooking System. But, I recently contacted the company's customer service center, and was told there are no plans to make the cook pot in the Ninja PFOA and PTFE free.

If they go "chemical free", I would definitely buy one. I'd like a surgical stainless steel inner cook pot, and would be willing to pay a little more to have one. Until then, I'll stick with my stainless stove-top cookware.

Here! Here!! They can make the insert for the Ninja Cooking System CERAMIC!!!

And double for the NuWave too! Make them ceramic inserts if you insist on a nonstick layer and I'll jump on them yesterday!

After everything we've learned about non-stick (Teflon)??? No way!

Trusted Contributor

I've had my electric pressure cooker now for about 3 years and use it once (sometimes twice) a week. It's a godsend when nights are very busy and I have meetings after work. Or when DH is bowling early and dinner needs to be on the table right away. It just works for us.

We have several crock pots and slow cookers and they, too, come in very handily on those nights. It's nice to come home from work and dinner's pretty much done. All we need do is throw a quick salad together.

When we remodeled our kitchen, we lived out of the PC and the crock pots. Oh, and the microwave (perfect for cooking soups and thawing pasta sauces from the freezer).

I don't think a Ninja is for me, though. There's nothing there that says, "Gotta have me!"I've made do without it in the 43 years we've been married.

But you will take my electric PC and my crock pots out of my cold, dead hands.