Esteemed Contributor

For those who have shopped at both places, which do you prefer?

I currently have a Costco membership and my Mom and Dad have BJs. Mom and I went to BJs on Tuesday. The prices were about the same as Costco (some higher, some lower), but I was impressed with the variety at BJs! They had items that Costco doesn't have and that I buy from the grocery store.

I'm basing this on 2 visits. What's your opinion?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Costco is about 10 minutes away and around the corner from work.

BJs is about 15 minutes away on the freeway.

Honored Contributor

You're lucky to have both places so near you! I'm a BJ's shopper because that's what's near us. But I have friends who shop at Costco (about 45 min.) because they have more time to get there. I've been there too. I hear the meat selection is better at Costco. BJ's used to have a great book section. It's smaller now, but it's still pretty good. When I went to Costco I was not impressed with theirs. I think both places have name brands in regular groceries, and both have great bakeries. Smile

Super Contributor

I have seen several articles comparing Sam's, BJ's & Costco. Across the board, Costco reigns supreme. They are recognized for having the best selection, quality and pricing (including prescriptions). They also have the highest paid employees. If that wasn't enough, they are ranked the second best employer in the country.

They are second only to.... GOOGLE!

New Contributor

I've had three memberships at once (BJ's, Sam's and Costco). Of the three, Costco is my least favorite so I dropped the membership.

When I was considering dropping my Costco membership, I called the local store to see when it would expire. The young lady on the phone was most unpleasant and acted like I was bothering her by calling. I made one last trip to use my membership and the sales clerk was more concerned with discussing her upcoming break time with her manager than assisting me with my purchase.

The selection in Costco's stores is very limited with the fewest number of products of the three warehouse clubs. They will have one brand of an item, so there are fewer options.

In fact, Costco's stores are designed without aisle signs on purpose, which makes customers walk up and down each aisle looking for tomato sauce, for example, or coffee. That guarantees customers will purchase items they did not intend to. After viewing some of these "tricks" Costco uses on a recent consumer documentary, I am a strong proponent of shopping where I am appreciated, and Costco is not one of them.

Costco increased their membership fee from $50 to $55 in one year. I can imagine they will go up to $60 or higher next time.

Honored Contributor

have all 3 places here.

we shop at Costco 90% of the time, sam's club the other 10% of the time. BJ's we don't patronize any longer. Here BJ's are not very selective in products, they are also more expensive.

Costco is the best in meats, and paper products and laundry products for me, sam's comes in close 2nd.

Super Contributor

I've had all three at one time or another and I have to say Costco is my favorite hands down. I currently have BJ's only because they are the only ones that sell already shelled pistachios that my DH loves, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been a member of Costco, Sams and BJ's. Costco is the favorite hands down. I actually don't know anyone who has had the chance to shop at all 3 and NOT pick Costco.

The quality of Costco products is just superior. Their prepared foods are the absolute best, the bakery is just out of this world for a grocery store bakery and I like their selection much better.

I also love their Kirklands brand too. I still belong to BJ's but IMO there is no contest.

Oh, they also have some great jewelry there too. I always stop by the jewelry counter on my way there. I got a beautiful 3 ct Tanzanite and white gold ring there a couple yrs ago and my jeweler always comments on what a great stone that is. He said they have some good quality jewelry for great prices.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor
On 10/11/2014 FATCATinCT said:

I've had all three at one time or another and I have to say Costco is my favorite hands down. I currently have BJ's only because they are the only ones that sell already shelled pistachios that my DH loves, lol.

My Costco has the already shelled pistachios.....must vary from store to store, state to state! I purchased them once; very good but they have increased in price every time I see them. Maybe for the Christmas holidays I'll splurge again!

Esteemed Contributor

justshoppin and everyone, thank you for your input and detail!

I get a discount on the memberships through work, so both are pretty cheap for me.

I can keep both memberships and use COSTCO for meats and paper goods, and BJs for everything else.

I was really impressed that BJs sold bagged kale. We go through that very quickly.

I also like the fact that I can use my debit card with no pin.

How are the BJs generics?