Respected Contributor

Anyone Use Frozen Onions and/or Frozen Green Bell Peppers?

I've been thinking about buying these chopped frozen onions and bell peppers for cooking to save time.

Are they worth buying?

I know fresh is always better, but don't want to waste my time using if they are not any good.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone Use Frozen Onions and/or Frozen Green Bell Peppers?

Have not used frozen onions, but I use frozen chopped green peppers when I make chili and I have no complaints.

Super Contributor

I've never bought them, but I have often diced up leftover onions and peppers, put them in a plastic bag, and frozen them to add to a recipe later. They work great in things like chili, soup, and casseroles, but I'm not fond of their texture in stir-fries.

Super Contributor

Yes I always have frozen chopped onions in my freezer... Use them in making my stir fry and other, various recipes...

Main reason is for me buying fresh onions is not a good thing... Cannot eat much onions and they don't agree with me... Just having a small amount in my cooking works okay...

As far as peppers cannot tolerate them as well.

lovestodance

Respected Contributor

Yes, I use them all the time. I often cut up peppers and onions (raw) and freeze them in freezer bags. They work great for me. I also roast mushrooms and freeze them as well. It is great to have the prep work already done on busy days.

Trusted Contributor

I prefer fresh, but I always have a bag of both in my freezer for those times when I just want to throw together a pot of soup or an omelette and don't have anything else in the house.

Esteemed Contributor

I've only ever gotten frozen pearl onions, which always were good in the dish I was cooking.

Super Contributor

many many years ago I remember my SIL using frozen ch onions, because my brother hated when her hands smelled like onions! I thought "yoi"!! Yes, it is true, yuk. I'd be in bed and smell onions (from my hands). Now I chop my own and freeze them and keep in the freezer in zip lock bags. same with green peppers. I'd never seen chopped green peppers frozen at the grocery store. I'll look! It's convenient and gives the right taste to what you're cooking. Living alone,,it's real nice to have on hand. I also put grapes and lemon slices on a cookie sheet and freeze then transfer to baggies to keep frozen,,great in ice water or tea.

Esteemed Contributor

I cup up and freeze peppers when they are cheap. Schwan's sells a bag of Roasted peppers and onions. I keep them in the freezer. Such a great shortcut, especially for omelets.

Honored Contributor

On 10/10/2014 knmt said:

Have not used frozen onions, but I use frozen chopped green peppers when I make chili and I have no complaints.

Same here--never use the frozen onions, but I always keep a bag of he chopped peppers on hand. Usually buy at Trader Joe's--mix of yellow, red and green peppers.