Respected Contributor

Diabetic or 'pre'diabetic? What desserts do you eat? Any?

My DH was recently told he is 'pre-diabetic'. We are just beginning to chance eating habits but he keeps asking me 'what's for dessert?' If you can share any insight about what diabetics eat for 'dessert', I'd certainly appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetic or 'pre'diabetic? What desserts do you eat? Any?

I'm not diabetic, not pre-diabetic either but If I were and I craved dessert; I'd have sugar free Jello with Cool Whip. Fresh fruit with a wedge of cheese would be good too. Actually there thousands of books out there that provide meals and dessert recipes for diabetics.

Honored Contributor

sarah--I'm pre- pre -diabetic--haven't been told I'm pre -diabetic but my numbers a the high end of normal. I have been trying to figure out a diet plan too, that includes desserts. Been on google everyday to find a plan that is reasonable. Not eating the white processed foods are easy for me and I do eat lots of vegs and fruit altho there are good fruits and bad fruits. I am switching out white flour for low carb options like coconut and almond flour altho I have yet to bake with them. Find a glycemic index chart online and that will help you. Sugar is sugar no matter what form it's in and try not to use the artificial stuff--so bad for you. Honey and maple syrup is a little better but in moderation. I use powdered stevia in hot drinks. So much to learn and its overwhelming--start with small steps. There are whole cookbooks on desserts for diabetics.

Honored Contributor

FYI: Diabetes Living magazine is online and provides many recipes, including desserts. If you're on Pinterest, I know they have a board there you can follow for ideas, or you can just look at their collection on Pinterest for ideas.

We only have desserts for various holidays, but there are many things you can serve that fall within the guidelines.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

I was told I was pre-diabetic. I also consider myself a sugar addict. I decided enough was enough. I cut out sugars except for some fruits in moderation. AND I AM NO LONGER USING SUGAR SUBSTITUTES. All that was happening was I was being set up for SWEETS to make me hungry and cause cravings.

Once I cut out the sweet stuff my weight came tumbling down. I watch my portions, limit the carbs and my exercise is dancing every evening for two hours.

Super Contributor

my husband and I are both Type II diabetics.....we usually eat fruit/berries with sugar free cool whip on them. Once in a while I will make a little sugar free cake or mix up some sugar free brownies. We really don't eat dessert that often but when we need something a little sweeter thats what we turn to.

Honored Contributor

I was in a prevention of diabetes fpr prediabetics class last winter sponsored by Medicare and offered at my YMCA. We were told for the purpose of the program we were on to try to lose 7% of our body weight and to do that by limiting our fat intake. How much fat each person could eat each day was determined by a formula depending on your weight. I lost 40 pounds. I was allowed to eat 40gms of fat a day. I had to carefully read labels. Perhaps your DH could call your local YMCA and see if they have this program ? He would also need to do at least 30 min a day of exercise - he can do that at the Y as well.

Honored Contributor

I was told I was pre-diabetic for a few years and didn't really pay much attention. In my defense tho not too much effort was made to have me pay attention. I didn't realize exactly what it meant and didn't research it. I then became diabetic. My blood sugars were 599 when I was diagnosed and was told I was extremely lucky because that's entering "Coma" numbers. Scared spitless I then researched this horrible disease (no one in my family has it...), completely (and I mean completely) stopped all sugars (even milk) and all white carbs. I count my complex carbs and know when the best time of the day is to eat them. I went from an A1C of 12 to 6.3 in three months (my next A1C checkup). For the last 7 years I've been between 6.3 and 6.7 in my numbers. I also lost over 30 lbs (not really sure how much), which has helped overall.

The thing is .... I no longer crave sugar. It's the weirdest thing. And I was a sugar and carb junkie my whole life. Fruit tastes like candy to me now.

I did add sugar free and no sugar added items to my diet but honestly I don't find them as satisfying and actually developed what seems to be a ultra-sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, which was serious.

So now I don't have ANY artificial sweeteners. I still do not eat sugar but have on occasion a bite of cheeze cake or a bite of chocolate and believe it or not, it's too sweet and I really don't want any more. I still don't eat white carbs. I find that strawberries (no sugar) just eaten fresh is so satisfying. I don't eat bananas, but will have a piece of an apple or a pear.

I don't know what to suggest other than there are recipes for desserts made out of Stevia (a natural source of sugar that has no calories).

One thing to note that is of interest. Artificial sweeteners will "ready" the pancreas and liver for what the body thinks will be ingestion of sugar (energy). There have been studies done regarding this and whether or not it's good for diabetics. Worth researching.

Good luck, it's not easy, but feeling good and being well is absolutely worth whatever we do to achieve it.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Diabetes has been an issue in our household for more than 18 years. What works for us, is moderation, and limiting sweets in this house. We do not do sugar-free anything, because we have yet to find anything sugar free that is tolerable, and I am very anti-artificial sweeteners, period. My husband loves watermelon and cantaloupe, and has a hard time controlling himself with these carbs. Our favorite desserts are fruit pies or cobblers, and we are far more compliant with smaller servings of things we like, than to have a pot full of something sugar free. Nothing is totally off limits; we just control ourselves through smaller servings, or not bringing it into the house at all. Candy, cakes, cookies and ice cream are rarely found in this house, and we view dessert as a very special treat.
Respected Contributor

try www.diabeticlivingonline.com

It has information and recipes