Trusted Contributor

Le Creuset Skillet Finish and Care

I'm kind of a newbie to Le Creuset. I have had two pieces for about two years and haven't used them very much yet. I got them after the kids moved out because I was so disgusted by all the other "non-stick" finishes going bad. My first piece was a typical dutch oven in a really dark blue, almost purple and it is beautiful. It has a whitish interior and I think it's about 5qts. It has a number 24 on it. If it gets any stains I use something like Bon Ami on it and it cleans right up.

But the skillet I got is a different story. It's a beautiful dark purple exterior but has a black interior. Looks kind of like a non-stick skillet but not quite. I'm afraid to use anything metal on it, utensils or scrubbies. It is harder to clean and even after I think I have it all cleaned off using something like Bon Ami I have to oil it to make it look good.

It doesn't seem to be "real" cast iron like the cast iron skillets I've used in the past so I didn't realize it needed to be seasoned or cared for the same way. Does anyone know how to care for it? Should I continue to "scrub" it aggressively and then oil it after it's dry? Should I use metal on it?

TIA!!!

KJPA
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Le Creuset Skillet Finish and Care

KJPA,

I have a lot of Le Creuset, including the fry pans and the dutch ovens.

The finish on the fry pan is different from the dutch oven, but it's good. The dutch oven, I just wipe clean with a cloth, rinse, then wash.

The fry pans, I use Awesome to keep them looking new. I don't season mine.

My DH set a buffet casserole dish (the shallow, round pans with the lids) on fire. Even with elbow grease, that one isn't back to normal.

I use wood or silicone spatulas and large spoons. I use regular size forks on occasion and they don't scratch. I use wood and silicone because that's what I have the most of.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

This is from their website:

Features

• Helper handle adds comfort and control when lifting
  • Compact size is ideal for individual servings or frying eggs
  • Durable black enamel finish requires no seasoning
  • Even heat distribution and superior heat retention
  • Colorful, long-lasting exterior enamel resists chipping and cracking
- See more at: http://www.lecreuset.com/cookware/skillets---saute-pans/skillets/signature-9-iron-handle-skillet#sth...

Features

- See more at: http://www.lecreuset.com/cookware/skillets---saute-pans/skillets/signature-9-iron-handle-skillet#sth...

Features

Honored Contributor

LC sponsored book Cast Iron Way to Cook is excellent and used copies are CHEAP from Amazon. They tell you so much about how full to fill the pot, heating, etc. The recipes are great examples of how best to use these pots.

From LC site:

Satin Black enamel can be found on skillets, grills, frying pans, saute pans, woks, tagines and a number of round and oval casserole dishes. Satin Black enamel has a smooth feel but is not as glossy as other light-colored interior enamel finishes. It has been specially designed for higher surface temperature cooking, which is not the same as simply using a piece on a high heat.

With cast iron, higher surface temperatures can be achieved by allowing any piece to heat thoroughly on a medium setting. This makes the satin black interior ideal for frying, grilling and searing.

Satin Black enamel will keep its good looks and allow a patina to build on its surface with continued use. A patina is the result of the natural oils and fats from foods baking on to the hot surface. The patina should not be cleaned off, as it enhances the cooking performance and the release of foods. It also reduces the need for surface oiling.

With the higher surface temperatures achieved during frying, grilling and searing, sugars and some enzymes will cause caramelization. This not only aids in the retention of moisture and flavor, but also produces the sear lines and crusty exterior on grilled meats.

Back to top - See more at: http://www.lecreuset.com/care#sthash.UUI27Fh5.dpuf

I have found that the cast iron does need to be heated thoroughly NOT on blazing high temps. Then the oil added (not olive for high temp cooking) and the food put in and allowed to sear before turning. Turn the heat down lower than med for cooking USUALLY. We have a high output gas cooktop and I have to be careful not to overheat LC, or any cast iron for that matter.

Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Honny and Sooner!! Smiley Wink

KJPA
Respected Contributor

Years ago I had a fajita pan split in half. I assumed it was from turning it on high, which I had done many times before. Thankfully I didn't have a glass top stove back then.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

debc, you had a Le Creuset pan split in half?