Honored Contributor

what makes the ninja better than crock pot cooking

I don't own a crock pot my tried it early in my marriage. the cats food tasted better, my friends brag the great food that comes out of their crock pot. what is the advantage of the ninja vs crock pot thinking about ordering
Super Contributor

Re: what makes the ninja better than crock pot cooking

Hi Homedecor,

I just used my Ninja tonight to cook, Hearty Skillet Lasagna (in the recipe book).

I was able to brown the meat (drain), add the noodles, sauce, water, mushrooms, whatever else I wanted & "steam cook" it for 20 min, then add the fresh spinach & it cooks with the lid on for another 5 min...super yummy & so easy.

You could never brown anything in a crock pot (I know, because I use mine all the time) & you also can't steam.

I LOVE my Ninja, but bought it last year (same model, but without the cover) for $99.99 @Costco.

Don't hesitate, because once you get it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

Hope that helps.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

You can't roast or brown anything in a crockpot. I only use mine for soups or ham & beans. I don't care for meat cooked in one.

For chicken or pot roast you can't beat a roaster. I still use my original NESCO 6 qt, but if I didn't have it I would get the Ninja.

Did you really try cat food, lol?

Esteemed Contributor

Don't confuse crock pot with SLOW COOKER. I've used my crock pot for decades and then bought the Ninja thinking it would be better (for all reasons) but quickly learned the slow cooker is another animal all together. Ruined an expensive cut of corned beef.

I've decided to give the Ninja to charity because it's way to large for my kitchen - way too large for my needs and would never use the slow cooker feature again.

(Hint: plug the little vent on the cover IF you're trying to use it as a crock pot - too much heat/liquids escape through that hole - I read that hint on this forum but too late for the corned beef)

Good Luck !

Trusted Contributor

On 10/1/2014 fthunt said:

Don't confuse crock pot with SLOW COOKER. I've used my crock pot for decades and then bought the Ninja thinking it would be better (for all reasons) but quickly learned the slow cooker is another animal all together. Ruined an expensive cut of corned beef.

I've decided to give the Ninja to charity because it's way to large for my kitchen - way too large for my needs and would never use the slow cooker feature again.

(Hint: plug the little vent on the cover IF you're trying to use it as a crock pot - too much heat/liquids escape through that hole - I read that hint on this forum but too late for the corned beef)

Good Luck !

Great information. Am sure many might not realize how important the difference is between a slow cooker and a crock pot! And what a crime to lose a good corn beef! One of my favorite meals in my crock pot. Am cooking one tommorow myself.
Honored Contributor

I have both electric roasters and crock pots in both our homes and use them both frequently. Actually, here at camp I tend to use the electric roaster a lot more often than at home because we do not have unlimited supply of propane to run the oven so I make things I would normally make in the oven in the roaster instead. What makes a difference to me is - if I want to cook something long and slow so it becomes very tender it gets crock pot but if I just want it to roast or bake it gets the electric roaster. For instance - a round roast is a tough piece of meat so I brown it then put it in my crockpot and cook it about 6 hours til it's tender. On the other hand a meatloaf is already tender so it goes in the electric roaster for about an hour.

Regular Contributor

Crock pots are ceramic stoneware, more healthy to cook with.