Respected Contributor

Measuring UNSIFTED Bread Flour in ounces ??

I have a chart that shows the following measurements for SIFTED Bread Flour. I need to know the following for UNSIFTED Bread Flour in ounces.

1 cup=

3/4c=

2/3c=

1/2c=

1/3c=

1/4c=

Respected Contributor

Re: Measuring UNSIFTED Bread Flour in ounces ??

Hmmmm, that could depend on your humidity level and the type of wheat being used. The only thing that I can tell you is to weigh it- let's say a cup, and see how much it weighs....but I am sure you realize that weight could be off an ounce or two tomorrow-depending on humidity. Is this information for a class you're teaching? Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

Google!

Honored Contributor

It seems to me the weight would be the same sifted or I sifted. It's the volume that changes.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

For weight, what I would do is this: get my food scale, turn it on. Put bowl on scale then zero out the weight of my bowl, so scale shows zero. Then I would start spooning flour into the bowl til I got to the ounces required in my recipe.
Contributor

Unsifted Flour
¼ cup of flour = 1 ¼ ounces of flour
1/3 cup of flour = 1 ½ ounces of flour
½ cup of flour = 2 ½ ounces of flour
2/3 cup of flour = 3 ¼ ounces of flour
¾ cup of flour = 3 ½ ounces of flour
1 cup o flour = 5 ounces of flour
1 ½ cup of flour = 7 ½ ounces of flour
2 cups of flour = 10 ounces of flour
3 ½ cups of flour = 16 ounces of flour

Respected Contributor

Just needed to know for me and whoever else wanted to know. I did call KAF and they told me 1 c of unsifted bread flour was 4 1/4 oz or 120 gms.

So I figured 1 c=120 g

3/4 c=90g

2/3=80g

1/2=60g

1/3=40g

1/4=30g

Respected Contributor

All purpose flour and bread flour weigh different. Usually if you see flour in a recipe they are referring to all purpose flour.

I have a kitchen scale that came with a Conversion Chart for different ingredients. They listed bread flour, SIFTED. So I wanted to know about UNSIFTED.

Not all recipes are given in ounces and grams and needed a chart to convert cups to ounces.

Respected Contributor

southerfriend, your chart is for All-Purpose Flour, Unsifted. Thanks for posting it.

Respected Contributor

I never thought about it: I have a number of recipes for shifted and shifted flour, and they called for you to weigh them every time to get the best results- particularly with pasta: that is how I came to acquire a food scale. We Americans like measuring by volume and in most of our recipes it works, but it doesn't when you are dealing with European recipes. Poodlepet