Trusted Contributor

I went to the store today and saw velveeta cheese for $6.99. It was $5.99 last week. Is it even cheese? I use it when I make pierogie but I think I might just start using cheddar cheese.

Jessa
Respected Contributor

YUM! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Velveeta is not cheese

Velveeta is not cheese. Velveeta is a cheese-like substance.

In industry language, Velveeta is packaged as a ‘pasteurized prepared cheese product’. That basically mean it’s processed.

Processing extends shelf life and allows manufacturers to make a uniform, consistent product. It’s also cheaper because you’re mixing inexpensive inputs together rather than relying on milk and enzymes alone.

Ingredients in Velveeta cheese:

Milk, water, milkfat, whey, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, milk protein concentrate, alginate, sodium citrate, apocarotenal (color), annatto (calor), enzymes, cheese culture.

You might read that list and think, ‘Well that doesn’t sound so bad’. And honestly, it doesn’t. Compared to most processed foods, Velveeta is relatively simple.

Velveeta

There is, however, one item I’ve never heard of: Alginate.

Some quick research reveals alginate as a flavorless emulsifier, similar to xanthan gum. It’s used in dye printing and in gel-like foods. If you have some sort of slurry you’d like to solidify, alginate is a substance you’d consider using.

Thankfully, alginate is a natural-leaning additive. It’s derived from brown seaweed.

Given the other ingredients, then, alginate is giving Velveeta its final, cheese-like structure. Without it, Velveeta would probably resemble thick, frothy orange water.

Esteemed Contributor

Velveeta is very processed and as far opposite from cheese as cheese can get.

Macaroni and cheese does not taste the same without Velveeta. I've tried to make it without (very expensive cheeses, bacon grease, etc.), but it was never, ever as good as it was with Velveeta.

It may be going up because of the milk products. Someone in the butter thread gave an explanation.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor
You use velveeta in your pierogi anything else with it?? That is a new one on me,I am not knockng it. Velveeta is the bomb in our house for mac and cheese and grilled cheese's.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, it's not cheese. (yuck)

I remember when I was a kid, a big ol' box of that was 99 cents. Yikes! How old am I!

Super Contributor

It's delicious if you cut it up in cubes and add a can of the Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers and then microwave until the Velveeta melts.

Makes a great dip for crackers or tortilla chips!

Honored Contributor

It's not real cheese ..... do people still actually eat that stuff?

Trusted Contributor
On 9/29/2014 spud188 said: You use velveeta in your pierogi anything else with it?? That is a new one on me,I am not knockng it. Velveeta is the bomb in our house for mac and cheese and grilled cheese's.

I mix it in with the mashed potatoes and I use it because it melts easily. I am thinking I better go with American or the cheddar.

Jessa
Honored Contributor
On 9/29/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

It's not real cheese ..... do people still actually eat that stuff?

I think they must and I also think it's been at least 50 years since I've bought any. This thread may have forced me to change. Or maybe to go to the cheese shop and splurge instead.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

Yeah, it's not cheese. (yuck)

I remember when I was a kid, a big ol' box of that was 99 cents. Yikes! How old am I!

Chickenbutt I remember when I first got married, it was 99cents ha ha....I've been married 42 years.

Jessa