Esteemed Contributor

The knobs on my stove are extremely sensitive and turn with the slightest push. This causes an undetected "gas leak."

Does anyone have tips to prevent this from happening? Tape doesn't work.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

During the summer, we had this problem. DS was home from college and came in late one night to wake me up and tell me he smelled gas. I really couldn't, but went out in the garage to check. There was a slight smell, but I thought it was just the lawn mower. Early the following morning DH noticed it and told me to call the gas company. It was stronger. They told me to get everyone out of the house, and they were sending someone over. After checking the entire house and discovering no leaks anywhere, he told us it was the stove. I had been baking and left some cookie sheets on top. Apparently one of them had "turned on" the gas slightly, but of course there was no flame.

The only thing he advised us to do is check the knobs all of the time, and keep them clear. In other words I don't put anything on them, unless I'm going to move it. And I always check before I go to bed at night (I'm the last one up).

They might make some type of cover, but personally I'd be afraid to use it.

Honored Contributor

the cooktop we have you cannot just turn the knobs, they have to be pushed down first and then turned at the same time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

The knobs on my stove will only turn when you push them in & then, turn them. I'm pretty sure that's the way it's been with every gas stove I've ever been around, which is my whole life. You might call an appliance repair place & just ask them, you might have a problem with yours that needs to be fixed.

Honored Contributor
On 9/28/2014 sunshine45 said:

the cooktop we have you cannot just turn the knobs, they have to be pushed down first and then turned at the same time.

This is the way our gas stove at our camp is - plus it makes a clicking noise when the gas is on until it lights. Perhaps those who have this issue should consider installing a gas detector in their kitchen so it would alert them this was happening.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about all gas stoves; but on mine, you have to press the knob in and then turn it.

What brand of stove do you have? Maybe you can call them and find out what you can do.

Regular Contributor

As others have said, the newer gas stove knobs need to be pushed in & turned at the same time. If you have an older gas stove, then yes, sometimes the knobs do turn very easily. If you still have a pilot light, if they turn to easily without enough force to ignite the pilot, gas will escape. I would have a repairman come to check it out.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/28/2014 beach-mom said:

During the summer, we had this problem. DS was home from college and came in late one night to wake me up and tell me he smelled gas. I really couldn't, but went out in the garage to check. There was a slight smell, but I thought it was just the lawn mower. Early the following morning DH noticed it and told me to call the gas company. It was stronger. They told me to get everyone out of the house, and they were sending someone over. After checking the entire house and discovering no leaks anywhere, he told us it was the stove. I had been baking and left some cookie sheets on top. Apparently one of them had "turned on" the gas slightly, but of course there was no flame.

The only thing he advised us to do is check the knobs all of the time, and keep them clear. In other words I don't put anything on them, unless I'm going to move it. And I always check before I go to bed at night (I'm the last one up).

They might make some type of cover, but personally I'd be afraid to use it.

Thank you for the idea for a cover!!!! That is an awesome idea!

The knob is extremely sensitive. It's a push in, and lights when it is turned all the way around. Just leaning on it and twisting will let the gas flow.

I don't like the idea of a sensor because that means the gas is flowing. I want to prevent it from flowing.

I'm going to find some covers, beach-mom, thanks again!.

Respected Contributor

There are child-proof covers for stove knobs. You might have to try more than one brand to find what works best for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Marsha, it's my husband's gut, not the kids. His gut!

He will lean on the stove to get something from the back burner or the cupboard. He turns away and those motions are just the right conditions to turn the gas on.

It usually happens when I'm not home, so when I do get home, the place smells like gas.

beach-mom suggested covering the knobs and I like that idea.