Honored Contributor

Preseasoned it like it tells you to do. I read the booklet and read on computer the dvd that came with it won't work in your DVD players I put in laptop and read the recipes to get an idea of the standard temps and times it recommends.

Last hr. of the 3 hr preseason process your window glass fogs up with you add the woodchips, but, boy, he sure was right about wiping down the glass with apple cider vinegar that did the job in no time. Cut right thru the browned film that was on the glass think I'll try it on the oven door, toaster oven door and microwave. Plain ol' vinegar guess they're right when they say that's the universal clean up product. LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Got my Masterbuilt smoker

Congratulations! We have one, but my DS absconded off with it-I need to reclaim it! All I can tell you is read everything you can.....I will never forget the first chicken we did: I was aiming for the traditional 180 degrees and the end result was something like we have never seen before....it could have been used as a food prop in a display case-needing no refrigeration whatsoever!!!! The next one we did was delicious-but that was another lesson we had to learn: you need fewer wood chips-depending on how finely ground they add-ons you think. The cookbook "Dadgum That's Good" is helpful. Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Think he said one hr. per pound of whatever your fixing. To fix a turkey I'm gonna have to put it on at like 6 or 7a.m. to have by lunch for a 10-12lb. bird. Just 2 of us so don't need a 20lb 'er. I bought a Turkey deep fryer early in Sept before everybody else wanted one too, so, I can use that to deep fry up to 14lb. turkey for the church social at Thanksg. Reserve the smoked one for us. LOL

He mentioned putting in apple cider vinegar in the water cup, but, think I'll stick with water or can or 2 of chicken broth, he even mentioned BEER for something he had cooked. ewww neither sounds to hot to me.

Regular Contributor

Sharkey: I hope you learn to love yours as much as the rest of out here in lalaQ land that own them also! The cleanup used to be dreadfully messy until I read about using the disposable cheapy aluminum foil pans under your meats, chickens, etc. I stand my ribs up to smoke them in a deep pan, and it works beautifully. And I also have a foil pan with only about 1 inch or so sides, and I line it with foil and do my hamburgers on it. Burgers are absolutely wonderful smoked.......and with a slice of low fat American cheese melted......yum! After you use yours, do write and tell us how you like it. By the way, my first chicken was almost rubbery also......threw it out!

Honored Contributor

Now, that's an idea ! thanks for the tip !