Esteemed Contributor

Can someone please tell me how to cook those Potstickers

Everytime I make them they turn out awful. Hard and dry. I don't now how to cook them. how do you steam them? I have tried grilling them but they are hard and awful.

I have that microwave grill pot but I still cannot make them correctly.

In fact even when I use that microwave pot I burn everything.

I don't want to cancel my a/d . I just want to learn how to cook them. Everyone else here raves about them.

Can someone pleas help?

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Can someone please tell me how to cook those Potstickers

have you tried microwaving them just a bit first to steam them?......maybe like 1 minute or 2 depending on how many you are doing? then i transfer them to a pan to saute them until a bit brown on at least 2 sides. i have not tried the ones from qvc, but i do buy the ones from schwans home delivery.

i like them when they are a little crunchy but tender and moist on the inside.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I steam them first for a few minutes until they are thawed in one of those funny metal steamers then put them into a fry pan with some oil and fry them on all sides until they are a little golden in color. You have to use enough oil so they won't stick to the pan or they will fall apart. Of course you can eat them just steamed too, which is far more calorie friendly than the oil. Make sure they aren't crowded in the steamer or pan or they will stick to each other. I'd start out at 5 minutes steaming and then go from there. I don't have much luck with the micro--always made them hard and crunchy no matter how carefully I watched it.

Super Contributor

I actually steam them in the fry pan. I put about a half inch of water into the pan and bring it up to a bubbling simmer. Simmer the potstickers for about two minutes on the first side, flip them over, increase the heat and let the water boil off. I then add a little oil, bring the heat down and let them brown for about 2 minutes per side. I do add my soy sauce to the pan before they come out.

Trusted Contributor

Are there cooking instructions on the package?

I actually do it just the opposite of karlam. I put some oil in a nonstick pan, brown the bottom, add a little water, put the lid on and cook until the water is gone. They turn out great every time.

Super Contributor

I haven't found a way to cook them either. Depending on the cooking method they are either hard or raw/doughy. The filling (what little there is) is tasteless and bland. I will not be reordering.
Esteemed Contributor

I lightly brown the bottom then the top in a little oil, turn them over again to the flat side then add about a quarter inch of water, put the lid on and cook till the water is almost totally gone. I dip in soy sauce as I eat them. I find the veggie ones to be bland but the other two are good IMO. Have enjoyed them enough to reorder a few times.

If you want to try cooking potstickers with a crisp skirt:

http://www.asiandumplingtips.com/2009/10/how-to-put-a-crisp-skirt-on-pot-stickers.html

Valued Contributor

I get the oil hot in the pan, put in the frozen potstickers. Let them fry on one or two sides until the pan is very hot, then put some water in the pan and cover quickly to steam. When the water is gone, take the cover off and fry the rest of the way on the other sides. Voila!
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all

I'm going to try just steaming them right now and see how that works.I have been frying or grilling them . When I fry them or grill them they are hard and too crispy. I want to love them so much..they are perfect for me in the evening as I'm an old lady that doesn't eat much anymore at night....lol

I have never put water in the pan after frying.I'll try that now.

Maybe I just do not like potstickers. I ordered the veggie mushroom ones.

I wish I could learn how to use that darn microwave grill without starting a fire........lol

adding on............

ok, I just steamed them and they were ok. Not great but better than when I grill or fry them. Again I began to smell burning with that darn micro grill, but I stopped cooking them in time.

Thanks everyone