Honored Contributor

slow cooker/crock pot suggestions....

Hi everyone, Smiley Happy

I am in the market for a slow cooker/crock pot. Any suggestions of brands/models/features that I should look at or stay away from?

I am looking for a 6 or 7+ quarts. After the size of it, I'm not sure what else I should be looking for/staying away from in a model.

Any and all suggestions/opinions are welcome.

I will check back periodically.

Thanks so much,

Donna

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Contributor

Re: slow cooker/crock pot suggestions....

The Kitchenaid slow cooker was just rated #1 by the team from Cooks Country which is the same team as Americas Test Kitchen - there was an article in Cook's Country that gave a list. The other I recommend is from Emeril Lagasse - I have his slow cooker and have used it countless times. Works great and i couldn't be happier with it.
Respected Contributor

I love my Ninja.
Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting your recommendations.

mcall, in what area of Jersey do you live? I live in northwestern Jersey.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

Love my Hamilton Beach.

Valued Contributor

I have the Hamilton Beach Stay n' Go. The lid locks on for travel, no more spills. I lock it on even when not taking it someplace because I think it gives it a tighter seal and things cook better that way. I have a smaller Rival crockpot with the plastic lid and it sometimes gets bumped meaning that it is not a tight fit and things aren't always as tender as they should be. I would highly recommend the Hamilton Beach Stay n' go, pretty inexpensive also.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to you two ladies - straitgirl and Rusty's mom I just ordered a HB crock on line! I've had an older one with only High and Low settings and after reviewing your HB - it suddenly made sense to buy one with temperature control - I'd never put a roast in the oven without setting the proper temp. Mine on High seems to run HOT and Low doesn't seem to completely cook after hours and hours.

Now I'm looking up new recipes since your type machine has the meat probe - oh, looking forward to fall/winter warm meals! Thanks ladies...................

Regular Contributor

I got the Crock Pot Cook & Travel - 6 qt. stainless/digital. I got in on Walmart online (the lowest price I found 39.99 & had it shipped to the store to save S&H). It is great. I had an old crockpot which was my mom's (had to be 25 yrs old or more); but needed to be replaced. This fit the bill. Nice feature to have the locking top if you take it anywhere. It also counts down the time digitally & has a warming feature which it switches to when done.

Esteemed Contributor

NOTE to Rusty's mom - Important

I just received my HB crock pot and in reading the instructions, I thought of you. It states to never use the lid locks WHILE UNIT IS COOKING. Use only when transporting the vessel to another location.

That makes sense to me..............with such a tight seal - with no escape for hot steam to squeak out - the unit could perhaps blow up and/or crack the glass cover.

I hope you see this - but probably not - since this is an old posting.

Respected Contributor

On 9/28/2014 dmod nj said:

Thank you for posting your recommendations.

mcall, in what area of Jersey do you live? I live in northwestern Jersey.

Me too!!!