Honored Contributor

For FL residents - WM bogo for Publix & Price Match Policies to change

I don't know if there are other states that have WalMart grocery sections OR if policy are the same in FL. WM here does price match and Bogo deals for any stores in area. I can save a lot of $ with this policy doing Bogo's as WM is usually much lower price then Publix. Today I went to WM and was doing this the cashier told me as of 10/5 WM will no longer offer BOGO offers and price match on only certain items. They are not announcing this to the public yet the cashiers will be responsible to tell the customer the new policy (she's certainly not looking forward to that!) guess they were "losing profits" as the way Bogo works at Publix it's the price + 1/2 of the free one: example a 32 oz at WM is $3.98 yet at Publix it's 5.29 but when Bogo becomes higher priced. hope this is wrong info because this is how I keep w/in my food budget using this method and it really adds up as no stores here offer double coupons in my area.
Super Contributor

Re: For FL residents - WM bogo for Publix & Price Match Policies to change

I was unaware of this. I'll have to check the next time I'm there. I love that they honored the BOGO offers of Publix & Winn Dixie. However, lately it seems that they 'run out' of stock of those products. I know the one really big WM let that be their 'norm' as they just didn't feel the need to honor the BOGO but the smaller WM I went to was always good about stocking the shelves... not lately though. That may explain it.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Trusted Contributor

I've never liked WM, I find their large stores very claustrophobic with shelves stacked so high you can't look across the store and find what aisle what you are looking for is in. Then you finally find where you should be, and they are out of stock. They are building a new Neighborhood WM very close to my house, so it will be interesting to see if we use it just to pick up last minute items or do all of our shopping there. I really do like Publix, and always save at least 1/4 - 1/3 of my bill just in BOGO's, on things I do use. As far as prices go, I think it always depends on the item, but usually evens out. Some things might be higher at Publix, but other things might be higher at WM. Publix is also generally cleaner and has awesome CS, IMO.
Valued Contributor

I have been taking advantage of this for months now. Friday I was told by the cashier & then by the floor supervisor about the change starting 10/06/14 by WM. I have saved tons of $$ since WM started this! They have been matching BOGO's (anyone's not just Publix & Winn Dixie's) and also any other stores sale prices for the week! For me, the only great saving were the BOGO's as the OP stated, usually if WM has the same product, it is cheaper and still get one free! I have also been getting brand name milk for $3.29 a gal. (CVS and/or Walgreen sale prices) which is cheaper than WM brand.

The sales (BOGO's) start on Wednesdays and by Thursday mornings, most items that are BOGO have already disappeared from the shelves! I was told that because WM doesn't know what will be BOGO at other stores, they can't order extra and those items sell out fast. They do restock later in the week but it is often times, hit or miss in my area.

WM's has started (already have it in other areas from what I was told) about the online savings...e-recipts maybe? If you scan your receipt, WM will compare their price with 50 or so other stores in the area and if someone else has it for a lower price, they will give you the difference. You can save it up and get a card from WM & use it. Hope this makes sense & helps.

Respected Contributor

Interesting facts, thanks for the info.

I can see why they'd change this: if you do a BOGO, it's often a "loss leader" to get people into the store. You will be losing money on this item, hoping to make it up on a full basket of other stuff. So the store has a few BOGO's only at any given time. Now, consider you are another store in town, and you are going to match ALL THE BOGO going on in EVERY store in town. Now, you have no way to calculate that you will take a loss on one or a few items, because you are at the whim of all the BOGO's in town, not just one or your own, that you accounted for. How could you protect your bottom line to make money and make sure you were in the black? Because if you aren't, you'll not be able to pay your employees and buy more merchandise if you are running in the red.