Respected Contributor

Well my first pot of Italian Sunday Gravy is on the burner simmering for 4-5 hours.

I know it's not Sunday, but I have always wanted to do this. I browned each meat and took it out of the pan. I made a 1/2 pound of homemade meatballs, used 1 pound of ground chuck and 1 package of Italian Sausage cut in chucks. Then I cooked a chopped onion and 2 cloves of garlic and some salt and pepper in EVOO and the pan drippings. I added 3 large cans of Tomato Puree and 1 cup of Merlot and 1 3/4 c water. The gravy went to the top of my 5 qt. pot, so I moved it to a bigger pot to simmer. I may not have made it correctly, but we are going to eat it tonight. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Re: Well my first pot of Italian Sunday Gravy is on the burner simmering for 4-5 hours.

Sounds yummy. Let me know how it turned out!
New Contributor

Re: Well my first pot of Italian Sunday Gravy is on the burner simmering for 4-5 hours.

Sunday Gravy is the Best! You did a wonderful job! Real Traditional Itatalian Dinner just add a crusty loaf of bread too! Mangia!
Super Contributor

Wish we had ""smell-a-vision"".........love the aroma that fills the kitchen when Sunday gravy is simmering on the stove..........
Honored Contributor

It sounds good, but is it a bit thin? 1 3/4 cups of water plus a cup of Merlot sounds like a lot of liquid. You may need to add some tomato paste.

Respected Contributor

Smellivision is right! It will be delish- and if it's on the thin side, all you need to do is take off the lid and reduce. I do use tomato paste because I think it adds intensity, but you don't have to. Another little trick I learned comes from a time when we were living in a suburb of Philly and we had neighbors from the Italian Market section. If it's a little too acidic, add a teaspoon or two of sugar. I like just a hint of sweetness, so when I am sauteing the onion and garlic, I add one or two finely chopped carrots: you don't see them in the sauce, but they bring a wonderful bit of sweetness. Ok Barb-you are the Baking Lady....are you making bread to go with this? Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds perfect!

The Merlot will reduce and the water will evaporate over the long cooking time.

I don't think there is an incorrect way to make gravy.

Bon Appetit!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I took the lid off for a while to thicken it. I thought about making homemade bread, here is the recipe. It makes wonderful garlic bread or leave as is for a great sub roll. Smiley Happy

I found this on You Tube. Here is the video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R00rQwwBFX4

Recipe
Dissolve 2 packages of active dry yeast and 1 T sugar in 1/2 c warm water. Let set 5 minutes. Add 1/3 c oil, then add 3 c All Purpose Flour (15 oz) and 3 c Bread Flour (12 3/4 oz) , 3 T sugar, 2 t salt and 1 1/2 c water. Mix in mixer with dough hook til dough leaves the sides. Put in a greased bowl, let double. Shape into sub rolls or hamburger or hot dog rolls. Let double and Bake at 400* for 20 minutes. I used about 9.5 oz for the 12 inch sub rolls. The recipe made 5 -12 inch sub rolls.

I cut each sub roll into 1/2 and freeze them. when I want a sub, I just thaw a while and make a sandwich.

Super Contributor

Yum. What time should we be there?

Respected Contributor

The sauce thickened up, taste wonderful and is done. Hubby said it needed a little seasoning, so I put some Italian Seasoning in it. I just made 5 loaves of bread and their almost ready to put in the oven. The recipe I posted is my hands down favorite bread to make. I also love making cinnamon rolls, but that is another dough.

Can't wait for dinner tonight!!!! YUM YUM

Y'all are invited over about 5:30 this afternoon!!!