Valued Contributor

Home Canning, do you can your home grown vegies?

I have been canning my Blue Lake green beans last and this week. My daughter came over to help because she wants to learn how to use the pressure cooker. I have my grandmother's pressure cooker and it is well over 75 years old! Well used and still in excellent condition. I grow the beans in my own garden because I just can't find decent green beans anywhere, they are always rubbery at the grocery store and the commercial packed beans taste like next to nothing.

Do you do any homecanning? Or is it a totally lost art?

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Frequent Contributor

Re: Home Canning, do you can your home grown vegies?

This summer I canned blue lake green beans, cucumber pickles (4 different kinds... garlic dill, bread and butter, zesty bread and butter, and kosher dill), pickled beets, tomato juice, stewed tomatoes, and pickled okra for my husband (nobody else likes the okra). We also froze a bunch of greens and squash. We also have lima beans coming in that we are drying. I think canning is fun, but it is time consuming and sometimes in the summer when there are multiple vegetables coming in all at once, I do sometimes feel overwhelmed. I also canned jam during blackberry season.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to LOVE doing this and still have my two huge stove top canners (never used a pressure cooker).

If I had a large family, I might still do it, but it is just me and my husband so it's not really practical to have huge quantities of food on my shelves and, honestly, it's a lot of work!

I've done berry jams and love them, but I just don't need all those sweets. I admire those who still do this and I know a woman who grows all her own vegetables AND cans them!

Super Contributor

Hi. We grow a lot of our veggies too. I did can some dill pickles and made two batches of refrigerator bread n butter pickles. I try to use the hot water bath method, when I can. I know reviews are mixed on this, but for me it's easier. I did freeze more things than can, this year. I didn't know you could freeze greens, tho. But yes, it is a lot of work. My DH makes homemade wine, which is a lot of work too. Best wishes! Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

I also admire you.......years ago I helped my mom can veggies every summer.....it was hard work but we so enjoyed the canned veggies every year. The home canned veggies were hoarded for special meals when our stock ran low. With just me now I have the time but not the energy, so frozen and store canned are easier but not as tasty........definitely an art that should be continued. ............
Trusted Contributor

I think canning is making a comeback -- particularly among younger people. I live ib the city, so I have no garden, but I frequently can small batches of things like soups and spaghe5tti sauce.

My mother and grandmother were big canners. They literally canned at least 1,000 jars per year of tomatoes -- plus green beans, squash, and okra and tomatoes. Now I am hungry.

Honored Contributor

I love my pressure canner. My favorite is canning stock. I haven't bought stock in years and I got tired of the wasted freezer space and having to thaw. I did 14 pints a few weeks ago. I've started canning in pints more now because I don't always need quarts. I can dried beans so they are ready to use at a moments notice and a fraction of the cost of store bought. I haven't really canned veggies because I prefer them frozen if I'm not eating fresh. My garden was hit and miss this year. I planned on putting up a bunch of tomatoes but it wasn't a good year for my plants. I was over run with squash and okra and had a decent crop of wax beans. I did lacto ferment my pickling cucumbers though.

I'm already planning next years garden.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

I use a pressure cooker, but I lack the confidence to pressure can. In Vermont our Extension Service isn't so active as it used to be. I have an electric stove not too fond of it. I like the induction burners I have because they remind me of a gas burner.

Are there any pressure canners that can be done on an induction burner? Or do they have electric pressure canners? I saw Ball had one, but not what I was looking for.

I think it would be great to can meat and veggies - in the event you lose power you can still eat Smiley Happy

I do dehydate our veggies, apples, etc Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is a pressure canner that can be used on induction without a disc, because they are all aluminum which isn't magnetic as I'm sure you already know. And I'm not sure what the official word is on using the discs with pressure canners. You could check at National Center for Home Food Preservation.

Meat is the next thing on my list. I want to put up ground meat for quick meals.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I have been home canning since I was a teenager. It's just my husband and I now, but I still put up fruits and vegetables. We have a small garden that did very well this year, except for the cucumbers. I put up jars and jars of tomatoes and sour cherries.

I have a water canner and a pressure canner.

I make jams and jellies and apple butter. I also freeze peppers, corn, peaches, zucchini, and tomatoes and homemade from my garden pasta sauce and soup. I dry my own spices for use all year long.

I have never canned meat. Anything made with meat, I just freeze. I have been thinking about trying it though.

Has anyone ever made a cake in a canning jar? I made several varieties this year for the first time. We haven't tried any of them yet. I am looking for a gluten free version. so I too, can eat them on occasion.

Happy canning everyone!