Super Contributor

Can anyone tell me what pumpkin puree is?

Hi ladies.

I have a recipe calling for pumpkin puree and am not sure what that is. I checked out the canned pumpkin offerings and my choices are either pumpkin that needs to be cooked or pumpkin that is ready to go and can be put directly into pie shells. I think the name brand they had on my grocery shelf is Libby. I was so worried that I would bring home the wrong can that I decided to wait a day and come on over and ask some of our fantastic cooks.

Thanks in advance for your replies. Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: Can anyone tell me what pumpkin puree is?

It's canned pumpkin with nothing else added...100% pumpkin. Canned pumpkin is pre-cooked and ready to use in recipes...no further cooking is required. I put pumpkin puree directly in yogurt and add pumpkin pie spices...no added sugar needed.

Pumpkin pie FILLING is the canned stuff ready to go.

Super Contributor

Canned "pumpkin", in most (most) cases, is not even pumpkin at all--it is an altered version of a squash.

Buy true pumpkin, non GMO, organic. It is out there and worth it. IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

This is pumpkin puree

This is pumpkin pie mix (yuck, IMO)

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

On 9/22/2014 terrier3 said:

It's canned pumpkin with nothing else added...100% pumpkin. Canned pumpkin is pre-cooked and ready to use in recipes...no further cooking is required. I put pumpkin puree directly in yogurt and add pumpkin pie spices...no added sugar needed.

Pumpkin pie FILLING is the canned stuff ready to go.

Thanks so much, terrier3. I thought that was what I needed, but wasn't sure.

Respected Contributor

Just bought canned pumpkin (Libby's) yesterday and it was located with the canned apples and cherries to make pies.

Super Contributor

Thanks betteb, also!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

a reader found my statement difficult to believe. I directed her to the FDA Compliance Policy Guide which says that pumpkin and squash are sometimes mixed intentionally to obtain a desirable consistency, and that the designation “pumpkin” is considered in compliance with regulations even when the contents contain squash, or a mixture of squash and pumpkin.

http://learningandyearning.com/your-canned-pumpkin-probably-isnt

Super Contributor

Canned Pumpkin: What Is It Really Made Of?

A lot of professional and home chefs swear by canned pumpkin for its convenience and consistent flavor and texture. But we recently learned something rather surprising about this pantry item...

It turns out that some canned pumpkin is actually – gasp! – squash.

http://www.thekitchn.com/pumpkin-pie-filling-what-is-it-69123

Honored Contributor

Pumpkin puree is canned pumpkin or cooked pumpkin that has been pureed so it's smooth, that's it.

Libby's has the largest share of the market in the US they state their canned pumpkin are Dickenson pumpkins. This whole, it's not really pumpkin thing comes up every fall for some bizarre reason. I've cooked my own pumpkins before for pies. BTW, butternut squash has a great flavor for pie or other baked goods.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval