Valued Contributor

Foodsaver TSV not getting out all the air.

My first TSV foodsaver did not seal at all. I got my replacement and it kind of seals. It's better than a zip lock but in no way totally vacuum sealed. You can see air and space around the edges of the food inside. Anyone else have this problem? I've done frozen soup and chicken. With both I used the moist setting.
Honored Contributor

Re: Foodsaver TSV not getting out all the air.

Try the dry setting. Don't need the moist setting for frozen food. I just sealed 18 rib eye steaks used the dry normal setting. Make sure the handle on the right side is down all the way. It's a little hard to close & will may a click sound & when you release it the door pops up a little. DH tried to seal something & the handle was not all the way down & it will not get all the air out. Make sure the gasket is in place all the way around & is clean. Hope you get it working.

Respected Contributor

I agree with Nightowlz. If it's frozen it's not moist, but I never even use the moist setting on mine. I do fold over strips of paper towels for raw meat.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I don't have the TSV model, but my new model has the moist setting. I have been using that setting to freeze breads I've made the last 2 weeks. For frozen stuff, I have been using the dry setting.

The instructions are rather vague on what they consider "moist" and "dry."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much. I'll try the dry setting. Debc what do you mean you fold a paper towel over the meat? Do you mean you blot it dry before sealing or you place a paper towel under it while sealing? Thanks.
Respected Contributor

On 9/22/2014 Cardamom said: Thank you all so much. I'll try the dry setting. Debc what do you mean you fold a paper towel over the meat? Do you mean you blot it dry before sealing or you place a paper towel under it while sealing? Thanks.

I do blot the meat but I take about 2'' width of paper towel and fold it twice and make it the width of my bag. I put it down above the meat. When I vacuum I never get moisture in my trays. I see they sell moisture guard bags now. I laugh when I see them, I've been doing the paper towels for over 20 years.

~~
Valued Contributor

On 9/22/2014 debc said:
On 9/22/2014 Cardamom said: Thank you all so much. I'll try the dry setting. Debc what do you mean you fold a paper towel over the meat? Do you mean you blot it dry before sealing or you place a paper towel under it while sealing? Thanks.

I do blot the meat but I take about 2'' width of paper towel and fold it twice and make it the width of my bag. I put it down above the meat. When I vacuum I never get moisture in my trays. I see they sell moisture guard bags now. I laugh when I see them, I've been doing the paper towels for over 20 years.

So you seal the paper towel inside the bag with the meat? I just want to make sure I have that right. Seems like it would work great!
Respected Contributor

Yes, and anything else that pulls up moisture like onions. This picture looks pretty dry, but once I take them out to thaw they'll be soaked.

foodsaver food

~~
Valued Contributor

Thanks debc!!! And a picture too!! Brilliant! I'm going to do that. I've never heard of doing that. Great tip!!
Super Contributor

I have an older model Food Saver, so I am not sure if the newer models have or even need this, but check the bottom (it may be in a different location on newer models) of your machine to see if there is an Altitude Adjustment wheel, it may just need adjusting high or low, depending on your altitude. When we moved from sea level to 4000 feet, I thought my machine had gotten damaged in the move. It worked fine the last time I used before we moved, but when I went to use it after, it was doing the same thing you are describing. I didn't even know there was such a thing, but once I adjusted it, it was working as good as before. Another thing I find that helps is once you position the bag in the channel, I lock the lid down and then press on top with one hand and push the button with the other, but Like I said, I have a much older model, that may not be needed with the newer ones.

Good Luck

tkins